Thread: "Carbine" (why you pronounce it the way you do)

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default "Carbine" (why you pronounce it the way you do)

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Everytime I hear it, I think of "Carbine" Williams.

Queers and nerds say it incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I hear there is a right good museum set up in Camden with a lot of this man's guns.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Same with me.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    I hear there is a right good museum set up in Camden with a lot of this man's guns.
    Ross's, Ross Beard. He owned some interesting weapons. I've got some stuff from "Carbine" somewhere in my store, storage. Older style paper with a couple spent casings, I remember it was some letter thanking us (Traders), along with his writing and signature.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 08-17-2018 at 07:04 PM.

I knew about him and the carbine he designed but I didn't realize just how much he did for the gun world and the military.

Colt hired him to design the Colt .22 - .45 Service Model Conversion Unit (Ace) for the 1911A1 for training.

U.S. Ordnance Department hired him to convert the .30 caliber Browning machine gun using the floating chamber system to fire .22 caliber rimfire ammunition to facilitate inexpensive training.

Winchester hired him to design sporting shotguns after the war. Benelli and Weatherby use his patents in shotguns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Marshall_Williams
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 08-17-2018 at 07:20 PM.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.thest...e14440259.html

Pretty interesting collections, there's a little more on Carbine in it. I met Ross when I was younger on a dove shoot. I just remember staring at some funky shotgun.. Years and years later we would talk every now and again, he would be dining/drinking with an interesting group of people a couple few nights a week.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 08-17-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Is the museum still open?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

It's in Camden Archives. I'm not sure what all is displayed, but I drive by it a few times a day. When I get time I'll swing by it.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=145133375510729
    Last edited by Highstrung; 08-17-2018 at 08:21 PM.

I met Carbine at the Charlotte gun show in 1970 or 1971 at the old merchadise mart. That was when gun shows were without black guns and you could see some fine custom rifles and nice shotguns. Winchester 21's, nice model 12's, Browning Supers, nice Parkers, great L. C.'s, Bakers, 09 Argentine actions, 33/40 actions were a dime a dozen . I wish I had the knowledge then to buy all I could, but alas I didn't.

Sometime being 66yrs. old has it's drawbacks.

Carbine came to the Spartanburg Gun show about 65 or so and he had the first one made in prison and a 2 LR belt fed MG. They are not in Camden Collection for some reason. I had heard that he carried a pair of Gov't Mod 45s so I asked if him if he still did. He said Nope, pulled back his coat to expose one and other side of his coat to expose is flask and I don't think it had Hoppe's Bore Cleaner in it haha.

FWIW if you have one make sure to inspect it CLOSELY AND OFTEN for below cracks. Hairline crack from rear of extractor.

Bottom of same bolt with crack initiation starting at 4:00 and stopped at intersection of the locking lug and bolt body.

Be advised they are known for this and have caused deaths I learned about while I worked at the Army Small Cal Weapons Lab in product engineering. If you reload for it STAY OFF THE HOT LOADS ! ! ! ! ! !

When I was at the Federal Law Enf Tng Center we had a student sustain a lug failure on the range and I was tasked with the investigation of why and to submit recommendation on how to make sure it did not occur again. He was lucky as the extractor just gashed his forehead and did not enter cranial vault.

There were a number of these failures sustained in Korea. The guy that trained me told me his brother was infantry in Korea and he helped put the victims in body bags with bolt parts sticking out of forehead. Don't know who the manufacturer was as there were several.

The pics above are from my own carbine. A friend was shooting it when it happened. I put a new bolt in it and sold it.

T
    Last edited by Hummer; 09-16-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    Distinguished Rifleman High Power & Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), US Palma & Dewar Teams , Formerly US Army Picatinny Arsenal Small Cal Wpns Lab, Spec Projects Group Dover Devil Cal 50 Machinegun , Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Prov Gnd, Member Int Wound Ballistics Assn., consultant to Fed Law Enf Tng Ctr, Glynco, US Border Pat, Defense Crim Inv Service, Army Munitions and Chem Cmd, Army Wound Ballistics Lab, NRA Life 1972, AC4HT, Firefighter 1, Shriner