Thread: Yamaha 40 ignition switch

Default Yamaha 40 ignition switch

Hey guys, hoping someone can help me out with this. I got an aftermarket ignition switch from eBay to replace the one that I’ve never had a key for. The key is broken off inside and the previous owner had been using a screwdriver to start so I’ve continued to do the same.
    Problem is I have no idea what I’m looking at on the original wiring. This is what I got
    EA144F5F-7DA7-41E3-BB10-A4C9D6CE600C.jpg
    9AE1EE7C-29A5-469C-A5D1-A4340E21CDCE.jpg
    4654A5CB-01CC-4873-B3F2-22A50E5BDFA7.jpg

New switch is part number 703-82510-43-00. Can anyone tell me if this switch will even work?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The connections should be the same. If they're not exactly the same just match the colors. Simply take apart the portion of the tiller where the existing switch is, and plug and play. Of course black is ground, red is constant +12v from the battery feeding juice to the ignition switch, I think the yellow is what sends 12v to the solenoidb when you turn it to start the motor.

I'm not terribly familiar with they old style handles, but I know the new ones have a safety switch on the F-N-R handle that won't let you start the motor if it's in gear. That can be bypassed easily by disconnecting the bullet connectors on the brown wires and skipping the safety thingy altogether. You can still start in neutral of course, but the biggest thingy you're doing is saving your behind when the day comes that thing goes bad causing your motor not you start.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    The connections should be the same. If they're not exactly the same just match the colors. Simply take apart the portion of the tiller where the existing switch is, and plug and play. Of course black is ground, red is constant +12v from the battery feeding juice to the ignition switch, I think the yellow is what sends 12v to the solenoidb when you turn it to start the motor.

I'm not terribly familiar with they old style handles, but I know the new ones have a safety switch on the F-N-R handle that won't let you start the motor if it's in gear. That can be bypassed easily by disconnecting the bullet connectors on the brown wires and skipping the safety thingy altogether. You can still start in neutral of course, but the biggest thingy you're doing is saving your behind when the day comes that thing goes bad causing your motor not you start.

This is pretty much it.

However, your new switch should've been received with some sort of wiring schematic and the schematic for your particular motor should be readily available online.

These two schematics should tell you all you need to know...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

That motor got electronic choke, or is it manual?

Turbo, what wire color is it that toggles the electronic choke thingy?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

It is electronic choke. Unfortunately I think this new part came from China and has no schematic. From what I can see when I take the old switch out of the cover there aren't many wires connected and several have been cut.
    Should I send this one back and get one that I'm sure will be color coded? It'll only cost 4 times as much

Japan > China for Yamaha parts
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Get what you pay for.

Since its an electric choke does this ignition have the feature where you push it in to engage the choke?

Last edited by willyworm; 08-14-2018 at 09:14 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes the new switch has the push choke feature but I’ve been told that type of switch will work, just not to connect that wire. I’m thinking about just sending this one back, but if this one doesn’t work I’m still not sure which one to get. Or I’ll just keep using the screwdriver, which sucks but it works

Bo,

if you wanted the part number all ya had to do was ax.

Tiller Ignition.JPG
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pretty sure that parts obsolete
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Nah Man. I took that drawing right from Yamaha's parts lookup website. If one were so inclined, one could buy it right there on the site.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If it is obsolete, most likely the only thing that changed is last digit in the 3rd field. Yamaha likes to supersede their part numbers often, for some crazy reason.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for that willyworm I’ve searched high and low for that diagram and never been able to find it. But I still question whether the new switch I have will work or not, if I can figure out the wires, without connecting the push to choke wire?

If you know how to work a multi meter you can figure out which wire is which. Shoot me a pm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Yamaha 40 ignition switch

I wrote this down when I was wiring Yamaha tiller to a tohatsu but it’s got the Yamaha color codes and description next to it. Maybe it will help some.

Oh and dark blue is the choke circuit for both motors
    Last edited by Gone South; 08-15-2018 at 05:07 PM.