Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talley manufacturing

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Y’all obviously haven’t used higher end scope mounts or rings.

Talley makes a decent tactical 30mm ring.

There are definitely better on the market.
    I shoot deer standing broadside at 92 yards with a mouth full of corn. I could mount the scope with duck tape and it would be fine
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I'm not jumping out of an airplane with the damn rifle. Some of you guys are apparently into overkill and blowing unnecessary money.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

good rings shouldn’t have to be lapped.

I haven’t seen a set of Talley rings that didn’t have to be lapped.

Their tacticals didn’t have to be lapped as much as their others.

Just to be clear, I'm a C+ kind of guy. $50 mounts holding a $200 scope on a $500 rifle that shoots $18 a box bullets gets them dead enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcole View Post
    Just to be clear, I'm a C+ kind of guy. $50 mounts holding a $200 scope on a $500 rifle that shoots $18 a box bullets gets them dead enough for me.
    Now we talking
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by Pcole View Post
    So is Bstick, I don't know what he is even doing here talking about this stuff.
    Genesis 9;2

Shots fired!!!

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

They make good stuff and they are good folks but I would suggest double checking scope squareness when you get home. You can’t do this correctly by eyeballing and shoulder mounting the gun. You have to level everything up. That way when when you dial in windage you are not also dialing in elevation.......and visa versa. See my sticky on mounting a scope. The reticle HAS to be square with the bore.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    good rings shouldn’t have to be lapped.

I haven’t seen a set of Talley rings that didn’t have to be lapped.

Their tacticals didn’t have to be lapped as much as their others.
    I like their stuff when I'm doing a pure sporter build and want a lighter, less "tactical" look. That having been said, I haven't had THEM mount one before - I used their ring/base combos and, yes, I lapped them. Lapping didn't take more than 10 minutes. I've lapped NightForce rings before, too.

I also have taken to bedding scope bases to the receiver with JB Weld. It all helps at least mentally.

As CWPINST mentioned, make sure your stuff is square.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    So is Bstick, I don't know what he is even doing here talking about this stuff.
    Shut it dummy.

They are good people and they may do fine for hunting rigs but I prefer my hunting rigs to be of the same quality and precision as my match rifles.

So, to follow up, I rolled into Talley this morning and they sold me the mounts I needed (not the ones I THOUGHT I needed) and got my scope mounted. Per CWP's suggestion, I bought a Wheeler scope level kit at Cabela's this past week and will check it out when I get home. So, if anybody's wondering and interested in the Talley mounts, hates ordering stuff without being able to check fit & finish, and finds themselves in the Santee area, Talley 's folks are some straight up no BS people to deal with. I'll check back in after a few trips to the range with some real world reviews. Thanks again for all the input.
    Last edited by Pcole; 08-17-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Put a set on the Tikka Compact this evening with the ER5, set up nicely. Good for the 200 and under knock about I bought it for.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013