Thread: MT Pronghorn

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default MT Pronghorn

I drew Montana pronghorn. Going to just solo with the backpack. Anyone ever done the public MT antelope deal? I hear that it is not supposed to be very difficult but I've never been out that way so I don't really have an idea of what to expect.

Plan is to arrive 2 days early to scout and then hunt the opener for 3 days and hopefully get it done.

What part of the state? Killing a goat can be easy but logistics can be challenging depending on the area.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Sheez, the things are everywhere out there.
    Last edited by Zephyr; 08-11-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    Hunting outside the box

From what ive read sounds like youve got it covered. Got a point in WY this year. Hope i can go next year even for a doe. Prob go it alone as well
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

You can hunt antelope in Wyoming without any points. Most of NE corner is 100 % draw. Public is hard to acces but you can with GPS chip. We killed our goats on BLM in unit 24.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    You can hunt antelope in Wyoming without any points. Most of NE corner is 100 % draw. Public is hard to acces but you can with GPS chip. We killed our goats on BLM in unit 24.
    I bought a point this year and plan to do just that next year. Gonna be a long ride solo.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I drew area 481 , will be hunting on opening day in AM , birds in the afternoon!!

I got 540 which is directly northeast of Billings. Along Yellowstone river.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    I got 540 which is directly northeast of Billings. Along Yellowstone river.
    I would hunt antelope creek (which will be pronounced "crick" there), probably biggest concentration of BLM.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    I would hunt antelope creek (which will be pronounced "crick" there), probably biggest concentration of BLM.
    Thanks I will definitely check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I bought a point this year and plan to do just that next year. Gonna be a long ride solo.
    I thought about driving but it was going to eat up too many days to get there and back. Flight was ~$500, truck rental was ~$225.

Quote Originally Posted by cat III View Post
    I drew area 481 , will be hunting on opening day in AM , birds in the afternoon!!
    Damn that's the right idea. Hunting public birds or staying on private?

I’ll be in Lewistown, look me up if want to hunt pheasant