Thread: Drop Camp Elk

Default Drop Camp Elk

If you have done this, what was your experience? Would you do it again? What would you change? There seem to be quite a few outfitters out west that offer these types of self guided hunts. Colorado has a lot of areas with OTC tags for their 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons. Just beginning to consider this type of hunt for 2019 or even 2020.

In my opinion, it depends what % odds you I want in your favor to harvest an animal. Save up another year or so and pay for a guided hunt.

I think Stripa and Trad did that a few times......or at least hunted public., With no guide.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

You can work your ass to death planning a proper elk trip. Good luck with it. I look forward to seeing a chunk of fresh elk over the campfire...

I talked with a guy in utah that does it. Call him when you put one on the ground and he brings in the horses to pack it out. Im planning a trip next fall. Prob be for probghorn or mule deer as i hadnt been able to find anyone to go and i think i can handle getting them out on my own. I get some experience under my belt i may try that colorado otc elk thing.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Also been doing alot of research lately and lots of guys wait years for the points to add up to get a big boy in the perfect place. Im down with taking a cow or dow so i can at least get to go while my points add up.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I did the OTC tags twice with a guide with no luck. Once in Colorado and other in Idaho. It was the cheaper side of the elk hunts you can get ($2500-$3000). If I had it to do over I would’ve saved up and did 1 more expensive hunt with better odds. Don’t get me wrong the experience was great with the horseback and tent camping, but I do want to kill one too.

I have my WY guide that I’m going with in October (for mulie and speed goat) getting me points for an elk tag. He says it’s anywhere from 3-5 years to get one. I hopefully will have the monies saved back up by then.

Gonna do some good recon on the elk hunt while I’m out there in October.

Have elk hunted a few states. Elk is truly a game that you can design around your own preferences. Different experiences have different costs. I've definitely decided patience is cheaper than guides and private land. I killed a bull with a few points in Wyoming and currently have about 30 points saved across different states. A wall tent with a wood stove is cool for vacations but I like the freedom and satisfaction with a backpack sans guide. If I wanted to kill an elk above all else, I'd save up ten grand and book a guided private land rifle hunt. What is it you're interested in getting out of the experience is the first question to answer. Then, we can discuss your options.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I have a relative that kills a good bull every year with an over the counter archery tag. It's all about how bad you want it
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I have a relative that kills a good bull every year with an over the counter archery tag. It's all about how bad you want it
    Your relative is an anomaly. Bowhunting odds are less than 15% in most states. I would love to hunt with said relative to learn the secret.

I have no set plans and may consider a guided hunt. However, I have always enjoyed the planning involved and learning new territory on my own. A record book bull is not my objective, but I would not pass up the opportunity either. It is about the whole experience for me. Taking an elk would be a great. A backpack hunt into a wilderness area would be awesome, but does not seem realistic. I have never applied for any draws and do not plan to wait 10 years plus for enough points to draw in “The” area. Areas that can be drawn with 3 to 5 points are more reasonable to me.

I see the main advantages of a drop camp hunt as getting further in away from some of the crowd faster and not having to ship a ton of equipment. That drop camp could be used as a base. Several of these outfitters include packing out of game taken or at least offer that for a fee. This is a big plus over a backpack hunt. OTC tags in Colorado seem to be a good option.

Make sure your wall tent is water proof!!!

Probably should look at ID and MT as well for these kinds of outfits. My only advice would be to ask for references, even some that weren't successful and actually speak to them. Having somebody handle some of the necessities sounds nice until you're dropped and things aren't what you thought you purchased. Good luck.
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 08-11-2018 at 09:01 AM.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Maybe check into WY outfitters that are doing drop camps in wilderness areas that are general tag units. Can probably draw with two points and you still have time to buy a point for this past year.

Rubberhead

Drop camp is a half measure IMO. Why would a guide put a guy paying less that half of a full price client in a good spot?
    You're paying for a camping trip IMO. If you are going to pay a guide, pay full price and get a good one. If I was going guided I would go to NM. Not cheap but they a lot a big portion of their tags to outfitters. DIY I'd buy points and go to Wyoming.
    I've hunted Colorado and it's a very low percentage hunt. Lots of tags and lots of hunters. They've restricted vehicle access in a lot of places and that's helped. The best hunt in CO is muzzleloader, it's peak of the rut and not too hard to draw. The OTC archery and rifle hunts are doable if you have enough time to find the animals. Have a spot, then a backup, then a backup for the backup. That way when you get there and there are 20 trucks at the trail head you have somewhere else to go.
    Last edited by FLS; 08-13-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    Your relative is an anomaly. Bowhunting odds are less than 15% in most states. I would love to hunt with said relative to learn the secret.
    I agree 100%. I'd also like to point out that way less than 15% of guys on this site can consistently kill public land ducks yet a couple guys manage to do it regularly. The key has already been mention here. Restricted vehicle access and a shear will to go way further than others are willing to go. It's not complicated
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I agree 100%. I'd also like to point out that way less than 15% of guys on this site can consistently kill public land ducks yet a couple guys manage to do it regularly. The key has already been mention here. Restricted vehicle access and a shear will to go way further than others are willing to go. It's not complicated
    My hats off to anyone who can kill an elk on public land, much less repeating it year after year