Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Youth Day

Default Youth Day

This Saturday. No tags, no license, no does?

Sure enough.
    "The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

"Some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters." - Archibald Rutledge

Correct

Kill um up!
    I still for the life of me can’t figure out when we don’t have a statewide youth weekend in October. Would be much more comfortable for the kids and see a plenty more deer

you can.

pick a weekend and call it "youth weekend" and take them.

I think youth days outside of the regular season (for deer) are silly. we have the longest season in the country, right? there's plenty of time to take a kid.

and before someone starts in with the "its nice to have a day dedicated to JUST the youth"....that's silly. dad's can take their sons and daughters any old time. that reasoning doesnt fly with me.

youth days for ducks and turkeys make more sense bc of the shorter season. just my opinion....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Youth days in general are dumb. Youth days when we have a 5 month long deer season are particularly dumb. You can't magically "youth day" the redneck out of people who are going to put themselves before their children...

yep. giving dads a specific day to take a kid is not gonna make a douchenozzle become father of the year.

granted, the duck youth days in february were fun as hell...especially when my kids got older and I didnt care that I wasnt always the one shooting. granted, they missed a couple and I was grabbing the gun on the next draw. and, no, you cant prove it in court.

Word.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    you can.

pick a weekend and call it "youth weekend" and take them.

I think youth days outside of the regular season (for deer) are silly. we have the longest season in the country, right? there's plenty of time to take a kid.

and before someone starts in with the "its nice to have a day dedicated to JUST the youth"....that's silly. dad's can take their sons and daughters any old time. that reasoning doesnt fly with me.

youth days for ducks and turkeys make more sense bc of the shorter season. just my opinion....
    How else are you going to justify putting more undue pressure on wildlife during the most miserable time of the year?

Drag a kid to a wasp infested box in 100 degree heat with 90% humidity to kill a matted up tick infested wtbd with carpet on its horns.

Excellent idea. That should get em hooked on hunting.

^LOL!
    867-5309

Everyday is youth day,

I plan to take advantage of the youth days, both GZ1 & 2. Glad to see them before the season starts. It will amount to maybe killing one deer. You fellas are looking at this all wrong IMO. I'd have been glad to have given up a month of the season to have these youth days. Look past the end of your noses.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

no, spur....YOU are missing the point bc you think you know why we are saying it.

go back and read it again with an open mind. those casting disparaging remarks about the youth deer days are not bad people or bad fathers, no matter how much you want to think so.

many have pointed to sound reasoning and i think we need to take each season on its own. putting a "youth day" on august 11 is no more than a "feel good legislation" aimed at making the DNR or GA look good....when, in fact, it is poorly thought out and a great way to turn people OFF to deer hunting. would some rather split the season and put a youth day in the middle? Of course not. that would be too hard on the lawmakers. put a youth day in january? its been done before and is again....and I have taken advantage of it and its a much better time to see and kill a doe.

i take my kids hunting any time they want to go....but I can still have an opinion against a youth day in august for very good reasons and not beat my children.

edited to add: and if they want to make me get "buck tags" why put a youth day when its bucks only? why not give the youngsters a chance at ANY deer? Again, it goes against the point of buck tags and is only for appearances.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 08-09-2018 at 07:11 AM.

You didn't look far enough. I said nothing about bad fathers. Funny how that always seems to be your central point.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Andddd theres the opportunity for youth to kill before the masses. No one here has watched a buck all summer, only to disappear 2 days into the season?? Ive yet to hear an argument of how this negatively affects anyone. Go or dont go, but bitching about more days to hunt really makes my head hurt. Too hot to hunt? Bullshit. Yall seriously sound like a bunch of women!

ugh. come on spur. its not me. its anyone who commented against a youth day in august who couldnt see past their noses.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    Andddd theres the opportunity for youth to kill before the masses. No one here has watched a buck all summer, only to disappear 2 days into the season?? Ive yet to hear an argument of how this negatively affects anyone. Go or dont go, but bitching about more days to hunt really makes my head hurt. Too hot to hunt? Bullshit. Yall seriously sound like a bunch of women!
    and ugh again
    i think you would attract more youths to hunting by the ability to shoot ANY deer in better weather. its that simple.

and, yes, I take exception to someone saying i feel this way "bc i'm a bad father." I actually have a brain that can interpret data, as needed.

Right. IMO it's a minimal cost to get some youths interested in hunting. Doesn't have to be an adult hunter's own kid either. They didn't have to pile on extra hunting days to do it either. Me? I'm good with trading a few days or percentage of it ....and the harvest, um wait I mean KILL total (lest I offend someone here) to let some random youth get a buck. I'm mostly glad to see the youth days up front instead of after 3+ months of banging away. I think some here could be looking from the perspective of already having ample opportunity. You probably already do your part involving youth in hunting, take your neighbor's kids on your lease etc. so this doesn't do anything good. So what does this mean to the guy who might not have that level of opportunity. Does this mean he now might be more inclined to take a youth hunting? Being the first chance at even seeing deer, could this mean it might drive more interest in hunting from the youth? So what the heck do we care about youth hunting anyway? Hope that makes sense.

My 8 yr old and I have been feeding the deer and running the camera behind the house for a month. He knows all the bucks by heart and is geeked up out of his mind for Saturday. He cares not about the heat or doe limitation. He’s just fired up to get an early hunt with his Daddy. Personally I’d like it to be cooler, but overall, from his 8 yr old perspective anyway, the early hunt is a fantastic development. Isn’t that what really matters?

My son loves to hunt and is extremely excited about the youth day opportunity. He will also go with me just about every time I walk the door during the regular season also. He is 12 and fired up and if a cowhorn walks out I will tell him to drop the hammer. He does not care if it is hot, humid, freezing, snowing, whatever the boy loves deer hunting. I personally would rather not go but it is another opportunity to make a memory with him so I am all in!