Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel or aluminum scope rings

Default Steel or aluminum scope rings

Steel or aluminum scope rings? I assume quality aluminum would be the better/lighter option.

steel is traditionally better. but theres some good companies out there making good quality aluminum rings, like DNZ for example. Cheap aluminum are trash though.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Talley Lightweights would be the only aluminum I would use on a centerfire. With that said all I use is Talley steel bases and rings.

ARC m10s are the only aluminum ones I'd consider. Tally has a cult following here because they are a SC company. For lack of better words they are junk
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I was going with Leupold Mk 4 rings. There is a weight difference between steel and aluminum but the rifle alone weighs damn near 12 lbs so a few ounces won’t matter much. I won’t be hiking with it.

Was goong to buy aluminum if everything else was equal.

Steel

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    ARC m10s are the only aluminum ones I'd consider. Tally has a cult following here because they are a SC company. For lack of better words they are junk
    I thought I was the only one. ...

Not a Talley fan

I went with griffins suggestion and got ARC rings
    Scopes only as good as the rings holding it

I've got a set of Talleys I bought off of here- they won't even tighten up on a rail.

Fck em.
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

You boys got money to burn if you are buying $200 scope rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    You boys got money to burn if you are buying $200 scope rings.
    Consider the fact that the scope and rings are the two most important items on a precision rifle. If those two items suck everything else is a waste of money
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Consider the fact that the scope and rings are the two most important items on a precision rifle. If those two items suck everything else is a waste of money
    Yup
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

anyone ever used the Nightforce Ultralight rings? think they are made of aluminum. Everything ive read says they are pretty decent aluminum rings

Quote Originally Posted by baydog View Post
    anyone ever used the Nightforce Ultralight rings? think they are made of aluminum. Everything ive read says they are pretty decent aluminum rings
    I have and they are good solid rings

I have and they are good solid rings
    thats good to know. once my Manners t-5 thumbhole gets here I am going to pick up a set in place of the NF unimount I have now

I put a set of Seekins Precision aluminum rings on my long range hunter build. I like them a lot for an aluminum ring

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/prod...ope-rings.html

I’ve used Seekins as well with no complaints.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I have a couple of sets of TPS rings and bases. They make pretty good stuff. No issues to date.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I would've preffered to go with some aluminum rings but after reading through here I'm starting to rethink my decision. Are aluminum and steel the only options? Aluminum is cheaper and lighter but I think the downside is the durability. That’s why I strongly consider aluminum extrusion, for the more budget option, and in regards to quality, I think I found a company that is able to reflect that in the final product.
    Last edited by EllieG; 02-16-2021 at 08:42 AM.