Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FLORIDA Gulf Coast....

Default FLORIDA Gulf Coast....

What a friggin travesty that's unfolding there!
    I've seen pics of dolphin, manatee, whale sharks, and the lsit goes on.....unbelievable this is happening!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Link? Search engines suck nowadays...

Red tide

I’ve been following it for awhile now and it’s unbelievable. I grew up in that area and still fish Charlotte harbor. I’ve seen red tides there before but nothing has ever been like this. Very surprising it hasnt gotten much coverage outside the state.
    In my mind it’s more the result of alterning the water flow through the Everglades as well as increased development more so than a yearly algae bloom.

Just got back yesterday from santa rosa, didn't see or hear of any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    I’ve been following it for awhile now and it’s unbelievable. I grew up in that area and still fish Charlotte harbor. I’ve seen red tides there before but nothing has ever been like this. Very surprising it hasnt gotten much coverage outside the state.
    In my mind it’s more the result of alterning the water flow through the Everglades as well as increased development more so than a yearly algae bloom.
    Tremendous fertilizer runoff through the glades/canals etc...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

BIG SUGAH...

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Tremendous fertilizer runoff through the glades/canals etc...
    I could be wrong but was under the impression the runoff is now channeled through canals and rivers and no longer flows through the Everglades which delivers the water to the coast faster and does not let the nutrients filter through a wetland first. Much of the wetlands it has historically flowed through are now developed or drained/re routed.

Yessir...that's what I was getting at implying the canals still flow through the geographic glades but obviously not filtered by the wetlands.
    What a mess....

Up until 2 months ago I lived right in the heart of the affected area. I spent every bit of free time poling flats of Pine Island Sound and Charlotte Harbor. It is personal. I sent letter to public officials, I was a member of multiple conservation , environmental organizations that fought for our fishery. We were too late. We thought we could improve what God created decades ago in the name of human progress, we couldn't. We thought we could treat the outcome and ignore the cause, it backfired with further degradation. We let big agriculture dictate their own environmental standards, they were a joke. We have ruined Florida Bay and the Caloosahatchie area. I watched it and it fucking hurts. My last few months redfish all but disappeared. Luckily the snook and tarpon tolerate the low salinity better but they too are now affected from the resulting sediment and fertilizer rich freshwater algae blooms. Sanibel is no longer clear water. Everyone is affected and it will take decades to clean up Lake O and redirect the water in a more southern pattern as God designed.
    Last edited by Dawhoo; 08-04-2018 at 09:53 AM.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Anyone interest should read "The Swamp: The Everglades, Florida, and the Politics of Paradise"
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

I bet a dead manatee wedged up under your dock in August will put you off your feed...

Here is a vid that explains some of the why...

Yessir...that's what I was getting at implying the canals still flow through the geographic glades but obviously not filtered by the wetlands.
    What a mess....
    I have read that the problem is there is no water flow through the glades which causes a lack of freshwater in The Everglades and Florida Bay which in turn has lead to the massive grass die off in Florida Bay and also caused the Cyanobacteria uptick on the East and West Coast at the outflow of the canals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

They got canals going every direction across SFla.....only a fraction of the water travels due South anymore!

What a mess....

They got canals going every direction across SFla.....only a fraction of the water travels due South anymore!
    Yea I’ve been doing an awful lot of studying on the Everglades area I’m dying to go down and camp on a chickee and fish

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    Yea I’ve been doing an awful lot of studying on the Everglades area I’m dying to go down and camp on a chickee and fish

I did it by canoe 25 years ago.....I wanna do it again sometime with a skiff and the longrod in January!
    Laid-up snook and tarpon....

I did it by canoe 25 years ago.....I wanna do it again sometime with a skiff and the longrod in January!
    Scott, you read my mind! Those baby tarpon are really what I’m dreaming of!

Hell, the big ones will be laid up in the backwater in Jan-Feb.....BIG ONES!

I did too. 154 miles in a canoe was a hell of a trip.