Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger M77 thoughts

Default Ruger M77 thoughts

Yalls thoughts on a Ruger M77 in 25-06
    What is a Pre warning M77? Thanks.

If it’s the tang safety model, get it.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Had 4, never liked them all that much. One was just terribly inaccurate (bolt safety), one was in .338WM (tang) and someone wanted it more than I did, one had that shitty synthetic stock an the last one was a nice wood stocked tang safety. The tang was the best of the bunch in '06, not a bad gun, I just thinned the herd when dad passed, man never met a 30'06 he wouldn't buy if the price was right.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Default Ruger M77 thoughts

Only thing wrong with those rifles is the trigger, I have one in .270 that’s deadly after I got a good trigger job done. They made a 25-06 with a varmint barrel that’s a shooter as well.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 08-03-2018 at 09:06 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

I have a M77 MarkII in .25-06. It will shoot the 117gr Federals just fine, but I also have a couple of handloads for it that it loves.

I put a Timney in it myself and had John Lewis pillar bed it and put a new crown on it. It won't be for sale. Ever.

My now 14 year old killed his first deer with it last year at 150yds and then proceeded to kill his 2nd with it at 248yds, not an hour later.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Trigger is my only complaint.

I have one in the .25-06 and that thing has killed more shit than the plague. Don’t overthink it. Just buy it.

Tang trigger was in there till 84. Barrels could be spotty in the M77 but heard worse in the M77 II and hawkeye. Just not sure what to believe. Keep reading and hearing mixed reviews.

Ill ask this. I want an older wood stock gun in 25-06. Suggestions?

I wouldn’t want one with the safety on the receiver, all the tang models are solid, after a trigger job.

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    I wouldn’t want one with the safety on the receiver, all the tang models are solid, after a trigger job.
    what he said X10

The MarkII has the side 3-position safety. That's what mine is. Wood-stocked.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I killed my first several dozen deer with one. Might shoot a 4 inch group at 100 yards. Nothing we did to it would make it a shooter.
    Carolina Counsel

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I have owned a number of them over the years. I don’t own any now. Never had one that shot like I wanted. A buddy has an accurate varmint barrel one in . 308 though. That gun shoots well. All of mine were sporters that had the barrel contacting the stock which is usually an accuracy killer.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I bought one M77 in .223 that was some sort of special edition. It came with a bedded B&C stock and a fantastic trigger. I replaced the stock with a factory Ruger synthetic stock. It still shoots very well. My kids killed a lot of deer with a M77 Compact .243 that still lives in the safe also.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

A “pre warning” M77 will have the tang safety and was likely one of the earlier built ones. The “warning” refers to the barrel stamping urging you to actually read the owners manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    A “pre warning” M77 will have the tang safety and was likely one of the earlier built ones. The “warning” refers to the barrel stamping urging you to actually read the owners manual.
    interesting thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC_ducks View Post
    Tang trigger was in there till 84. Barrels could be spotty in the M77 but heard worse in the M77 II and hawkeye. Just not sure what to believe. Keep reading and hearing mixed reviews.

Rem 700 BDL. Mine is an early 80's model. New ones aren't the same quality I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC_ducks View Post

I stumbled across the rifle your looking for a couple of months ago and it followed me home. Older walnut stocked 700 ADL in 25-06. I tuned up the trigger, put a VX3 4.5-14x50 I had setting around and shot some of my hand loads thru it. She shoots pretty good. I'm going to bed it and haul it out to Wyoming in October to whack a couple of goats.

.270 with the skeleton stock. Timney trigger, Burris 4.5-20x50mm scope. I custom made a stock plate to raise my eye up in line with the crosshairs.

Not incredibly accurate but I'm confident the gun is more accurate than its operator. I kill deer with it just fine as is.

I want to bed the stock myself soon then have the barrel crowned by a professional at some point.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 08-04-2018 at 05:05 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    .270 with the skeleton stock. Timney trigger, Burris 4.5-20x50mm scope. Custom made a stock plate to raise my eye up in line with the crosshairs.

Not incredibly accurate but I'm confident the gun is not accurate than its operator.

I want to get the stock bedded and the barrel crowned, but it's not top priority right now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Do you think that Limbsaver doughnut helps accuracy?