Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Family week at IOP

Default Family week at IOP

Our annual trip to IOP with family (both our kids and their spouses , grandson as well as Sis in law, bro in law and 2 nephews )

Rain has been in the way but bait is plentiful and reds have cooperated

DIL with her first Spec, BIL with nice red, Grandson with “his first red” (he HELPED his Dad catch it) SIL with his first Red, 2 nephews . Last but not least the old man showed them up with a 34” red. Making Memories

70741562-139D-4DBC-996D-7B54C8676B18.jpgDBD39F87-DBED-4478-B400-190130FB4F35.jpgC24322BA-7747-47B2-B34D-6C818A4C25E1.jpg5B7E0AA0-61BE-4EEC-BF60-66CB50BAC8FD.jpgE84574F5-D7D5-4A2B-8D7C-BE73B5EDE841.jpg504FE99D-37CE-4305-8C49-7282BC8543A3.jpeg09531B83-8D76-4D9B-AF7A-FDC22695685E.jpg

Nice work. It is a lot better for those bass's innards when you hold them horizontal like the fellow in the checkered shorts.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Nice work. It is a lot better for those bass's innards when you hold them horizontal like the fellow in the checkered shorts.
    Ah. They are just gonna die this winter.
    Last edited by SCswampCAT; 08-03-2018 at 09:10 AM.

Nice job. I used to catch the hell out of them at that dock back in high school

Nice fish.

I’ve never understood why folks need a pair of pliers to hold a fish. Is that the new trend?

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    Nice fish.

I’ve never understood why folks need a pair of pliers to hold a fish. Is that the new trend?
    It has a weight scale built into it. It's also better for the fish (if you're going to release it) to not handle it and disturb its slime coat. The Bogagrip is a great tool. And it's not really new, I've had one for probably fifteen years.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    It has a weight scale built into it. It's also better for the fish (if you're going to release it) to not handle it and disturb its slime coat. The Bogagrip is a great tool. And it's not really new, I've had one for probably fifteen years.
    Ok. Thanks for that. See them in pictures more and more.

I see some of my boat lifts in those pics- nice fish- did you get the golf cart out of the truck without crashing?

Yep we get quick picture and weigh and nice release. I am guessing I have had these 15 yrs or so as well

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    I see some of my boat lifts in those pics- nice fish- did you get the golf cart out of the truck without crashing?
    Loaded at home and then took it back off and used trailer since I had to take some tools to work on some misc items around our house while there this week. Actually was surprised at how easy it loaded and unloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    Nice job. I used to catch the hell out of them at that dock back in high school

Yep not a bad spot at all Wanted to take them to the jetties for bull reds but just never did run that far due to all these storms popping up

Nothing like seeing younger folks catch these things and especially for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Only way to get quick weight, fish all swim away just fine. Been using boga grip for years

Trout and couple of reds (fell in slot limit ) didn’t have to worry about innards when in cooler with ice and beer
    Last edited by tprice; 08-03-2018 at 05:27 PM.

I let a fish yank a Bogagrip out of my hand several years ago. It was in the mouth of a small creek about 5 feet deep. I shed my clothes down to my BVDs and waded around for about an hour and couldn't find it. I decided to come back the next afternoon with scuba gear. I searched until my tank was getting floaty and just as I was about to give up, I felt something tap my hand in the opaque water. I felt around and immediately recognized the weighty feel of the Bogagrip.....with the fish still attached. I tagged and released him alive and got my Boga back.

Bogagrips are one of the best made tools I can think of. Absolute quality. Mine gets zero maintenance and it works like it did when it was brand new.

Bogagrips are one of the best made tools I can think of. Absolute quality. Mine gets zero maintenance and it works like it did when it was brand new.

I agree, I have NEVER done anything to my other than rinse it off with fresh water . Still works like it did the day I bought it . Yep FIRST thing I did was tie a float to it

Funny thought though, when getting a fish ready to release and getting him going in the water I still to this day think about this video . Over the years I have had sharks hit a couple of reds while fighting them

Last edited by tprice; 08-03-2018 at 08:53 PM.

I was waiting to see a pic of an ez go on its lid
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Throw away your bogga grip if you want the fish to survive. They've lived a life of weightlessness in water, then all of a sudden they're lifted by their lip for a photo op. This tears everything from their jaw to their internal organs. Wet your hands if you don't want to remove any slime and keep the handling to a minimal if you want the fish to survive. Honestly, I don't get too worked up about it, but it's non-sense when people using pliers or boga think it's the low impact approach. Most of the big channel bass held by a boga swim to the bottom to either die from trauma or by shark. There's talk about passing a law to make it illegal for an out of slot spottail from being removed from the water for pictures. Boatside release is what's being pushed.

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/...lease-fishing/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it kills them, how did so many of them get recaptured years later? I used to do a lot of tagging and got a lot of returned tag reports. Almost every fish I tagged got weighed with a Boga.

I do agree that hanging them and dawdling while taking glory shots should be minimized but it would be hard to convince me that weighing them with a Boga kills them. I hate to see the bass fishing shows where the host catches a nice bass and holds it up with his jaw bent backwards for the camera, then goes on some long diatribe discussing his sponsors' new lure. I tell people to hold their breath when they take a fish from the water and don't take another breath until it's back in the water.

Default Family week at IOP

Alternatively, without a boga I often see fish hauled in with either a net or by hand to flop and thrash all around on a hot boat deck while someone fumbles with the fish trying to get ahold of it.... seemingly much more traumatic.

I do agree that their weight should be supported as much as possible and handling should be minimal if you plan to release. I prefer the boga for this reason. I can make a quick clean snag and know I am not dropping the fish, and just support their belly as much as possible while handling for release. Minimal thrashing around, quick release.

Nice work on the family fun and fish catchin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 08-04-2018 at 06:58 AM.

If y'all are so worried about fish health quit fucking fishing.
    Windows Down!

If it kills them, how did so many of them get recaptured years later? I used to do a lot of tagging and got a lot of returned tag reports. Almost every fish I tagged got weighed with a Boga.

I do agree that hanging them and dawdling while taking glory shots should be minimized but it would be hard to convince me that weighing them with a Boga kills them. I hate to see the bass fishing shows where the host catches a nice bass and holds it up with his jaw bent backwards for the camera, then goes on some long diatribe discussing his sponsors' new lure. I tell people to hold their breath when they take a fish from the water and don't take another breath until it's back in the water.
    Playing devils advocate. Did you re-catch every fish you tagged? Unless you caught 100% of them, you can't say the boga didn't have an affect on them. I've heard from biologist and hardcore catch and release gurus who've studied them that 10-20% of the big channel bass handled properly during a catch and release die due to exhaustion from the 10 minute battle from light tackle, infection, etc.. That number increases to 50+% when hung by a boga. So what if one or two channel fish die? When guides are going out in Winyah bay or Charleston jetties catching 60-100 fish a week and 50+% of those fish die due to improper handling, those numbers add up I would imagine. No, I don't have proof bogas hurt them, but just like the largemouth scenario you talked about, it just looks like it hurts the fish and is only for the purpose of a looking cool in a pic. I totally agree a boga is the easiest way to handle a fish. I'd like to hear a biologist opinion on using a net versus a boga. I think a spottails scales and skin are pretty resilient, unlike a trout. I did a little guiding in MT and it was a similar argument out there watching someone grab a big cutthroat with dry hands with a death grip around the gills for a glamour shot and then tossing the fish carelessly back in the water. I don't like killing shit unless I plan to eat it (exception with coyotes, hogs, and sometimes a snake if he's a threat), so I figure I'll try my best to do my part to not hurt our already declining population of spottail. Many biologist/ guides/ dnr believe the decline is contributed to improper handling of fish aligned with the increased number of people fishing. Some argue there's not a decline. I don't fish as much as I used to so me sucking at fishing has something to do with this, but the numbers of spottail at N inlet and the delta aren't what they used to be in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    I posted my last post before reading this article. Good, non-confrontational article. Raybird, the reason people are concerned about fish health is so we don't have to quit (closures) or become regulated to death due to ignorance.

Not going to argue pros/cons to boga grips. Fish all swam away fine, all I can do . Have used one for years and will keep using them.

NOTHING is 100% guaranteed that a fish is going to live a longer or shorter life after it is brought out of the water.

No way to prove one way or another unless you are going to put an electronic tag in the fish and see

To me they work good to help remove hooks, I do not keep fish out of water for any length of time and make sure all are revived to swim away. All I can do.

yes I have read both arguments on using them and not using them, goes both ways. I figure flipper kills damn bunch more reds than I ever do

Starting to wonder if some of y’all ever KILL ANYTHING . SHIT dies turns into food and cycle of life starts over
    Last edited by tprice; 08-04-2018 at 04:46 PM.