Thread: Food plots

Default Food plots

We usually put my uncles food plots in around labor day,I may have to put mine in around early to mid august this year.ill either be in Canada or hartsville working the first of September through bow season.will it be ok to put these plots in a little early?I would think a couple weeks wouldnt matter.they will be a mix of winter peas,oats,sugar beets,grape and rye.
    The price is firm.

Rape not grape
    The price is firm.

I am planning on putting mine in the last two weeks of August. I typically am never ready before bow season. I am trying to have plots up and able to hunt by then this year.

Given you don't have much choice, you have to put them in when you have to put them in. Ideally for me, if we put them in before mid September we end up getting a lot of grass growing back in our plots. Hopefully you won't have the same problem we have. Pray for rain and cross your fingers. Good luck.

Plant it and see what happens. Worst case you have to replant.

With grain I’ve had better luck planting later than earlier. I’ve drilled oats the first week of October and got a great yield.

Also - for you guys that have planted a variety of seed in the same plot. Have you noticed they draw more critters than just planting grain? I’ve done it both ways and have a far better hunting plot with either just oats or a 50/50 mix of wheat and rye grain.
    Last edited by wiz18; 08-02-2018 at 03:06 PM.

I plant when the nights get into the 60s.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

What are y'all planting in the LC for fall plots? A mixture or different seeds in different sections/plots?

Last year it rained for the damn hurricane and then didn't rain again after that...

plant your beats, rape, and peas now. over seed with oats, wheat, and rye in October before a rain.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004