Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Places to rent to till drills

Default Places to rent to till drills

I live in saluda and am looking for a place to rent a no till drill to oversees some perennial food plots of clover that I have. I usually used Rodgers fertilizer but 1. Their drill is honestly to big and they charge by the day. I will need to do 3 acres max and can’t see paying $250 the last I heard to rent a 10 ft drill from them.

Does anyone else know a place in my area I can rent that may charge by the acre like Rodgers use to.

Check with your local usda office. They rent them or at least i know clarendon county does.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Wilson tractor in Newberry will rent one.

How big are the ones at Wilson, do you know? Also do they have small seed boxes for clover?

Why not broadcast for free

Because I don’t want to till up what I already have and I have not had good results with broadcasting on prepared beds.

Secondly I don’t know if it’s possible but can a mod move this thread. I accidentally put it in the wrong spot.

Quote Originally Posted by catahouladog View Post
    Why not broadcast for free
    Because a drill does a better job unless you can turbo till after broadcasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Because a drill does a better job unless you can turbo till after broadcasting.
    Can you explain what turbo tilling is?
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

C2
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

You can rent a 10 footer in Aiken from the USDA for $9 an acre with a 10 acre minimum. I know that's a bit of a drive but it beats $250. There is a sheet on the DNR website that outlines what equipment each county office has for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Marsh View Post
    Can you explain what turbo tilling is?

Doesn't cut like a disc. Have a few growers who have us spread bulk wheat seed out of a spreader truck and run one behind it and its does a great job. When you try to cover broadcast seed with a disc you run the risk of having the seed to deep and get a shitty stand. And you can plant the hell out of a wheat or cover crop broadcasting then turbo tilling behind it, acres per day go way up. It wouldn't make sense for a food plot though, using a drill or 2 row planter is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcdp View Post
    You can rent a 10 footer in Aiken from the USDA for $9 an acre with a 10 acre minimum. I know that's a bit of a drive but it beats $250. There is a sheet on the DNR website that outlines what equipment each county office has for rent.
    It ain't 10ft, more like 6ft. Several NRCS offices have them and Saluda may have one you can get.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by SCcdp View Post
    Link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn’t one. Call the Saluda or Aiken office.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Nm, found it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what kind of stand would one get with a perfecta after spreading wheat or oats?

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post

Doesn't cut like a disc. Have a few growers who have us spread bulk wheat seed out of a spreader truck and run one behind it and its does a great job. When you try to cover broadcast seed with a disc you run the risk of having the seed to deep and get a shitty stand. And you can plant the hell out of a wheat or cover crop broadcasting then turbo tilling behind it, acres per day go way up. It wouldn't make sense for a food plot though, using a drill or 2 row planter is the way to go.

I wouldn’t tell them your doing food plot. I wanted to rent one from the soil and conservation dept and they wouldn’t allow it for “wildlife plots”
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    So what kind of stand would one get with a perfecta after spreading wheat or oats?
    If you run it shallow and don’t have big shovels I would think it would be fine.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    I wouldn’t tell them your doing food plot. I wanted to rent one from the soil and conservation dept and they wouldn’t allow it for “wildlife plots”
    I’m planting a ten acre pasture what are you talking about lol. At least that’s all they need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I’m planting a ten acre pasture what are you talking about lol. At least that’s all they need to know.
    There you go. That's the line I used lol
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid