Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Keto

What's wrong with good ol moderation? I understand how Keto can help you lose weight and be healthy, but be honest, how many people can actually stick with it long term? As soon as you stop, the weight will come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    What's wrong with good ol moderation? I understand how Keto can help you lose weight and be healthy, but be honest, how many people can actually stick with it long term? As soon as you stop, the weight will come back.
    That depends on the individual and their level of discipline. Saying as soon as you stop the weight comes back is true. Because you go back to the same crappy lifestyle that made you fat and unhealthy to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    For me, its not about losing weight. That's just a convenient bi-product. More about health and disease prevention. Brain clarity is off the charts. My guts used to hurt if i pressed anywhere on my abdominal cavity from inflammation, not to mention the bloat. Gone now. Acid Reflux...gone. Million other bennies, too much to detail.

https://ketoschool.com/the-43-health...s-1e4ee4743f1f
    Last edited by everlast; 08-02-2018 at 10:33 AM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

The people I have seen make it a lifestyle have had tremendous results. I just want to look better naked & get off my gout meds.

Glenn, you're obviously well-read on the subject. Thoughts on combining with IF?
    Last edited by everlast; 08-02-2018 at 10:55 AM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    The people I have seen make it a lifestyle have had tremendous results. I just want to look better naked & get off my gout meds.
    Doesn't ketosis increase your chances of getting gout?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    Doesn't ketosis increase your chances of getting gout?
    Will let ya know in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    Glenn, you're obviously well-read on the subject. Thoughts on combining with IF?

Not Glenn, but this is what I get from most of my readings:

It is advised if you are over 15% body fat.

Basically, it is one less meal during the day which means less calories which means less to be stored if it isn't used.

Any IF program is going to ultimately lead to a caloric deficit, unless you gorge yourself when you eat.

Most days I am on a 22:2. However, I have been having an avocado for breakfast and pepperoni or smoked herring for lunch here, recently.

Initially, it may be difficult. However, you will adjust. The body doesn't NEED breakfast, lunch, dinner. Those are simply societal norms.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk
    Last edited by USMCsilver; 08-02-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    Not Glenn, but this is what I get from most of my readings:

It is advised if you are over 15% body fat.

Basically, it is one less meal during the day which means less calories which means less to be stored if it isn't used.

Any IF program is going to ultimately lead to a caloric deficit, unless you gorge yourself when you eat.

Most days I am on a 22:2. However, I have been having an avocado for breakfast and pepperoni or smoked herring for lunch here, recently.

Initially, it may be difficult. However, you will adjust. The body doesn't NEED breakfast, lunch, dinner. Those are simply societal norms.

Eh. Sorta kinda but not really.

Here's an IF rabbit hole if you want to run down it http://burnfatnotsugar.com/intermittent-fasting.html

IF has no impact on calorie consumption unless your are purposefully eating at a deficit during your feeding times. For example if I'm on a 16:8 cycle (fast for 16 and eat for 8) and my calories for the day are 180g P, 25g C and 120g F or roughly 1850 calories (these are my macros this week), then I can and do get those in during that 8 hour feed window.

What IF is designed to do is drop your insulin and allow your body to burn fat for fuel. I know people who track their food like it's their job and are one meal a day carnivore eaters and they regularly get 2000-2500 calories in one meal of nothing but protein and fat. Personally I'd barf. So in a round about way, Silver is correct; most people who IF find it very difficult to fit all their food in, or choke it down, during that short window.

There is some great research coming out about the benefits of IF and you can go nuts on the triple dub reading about it. I stopped IF a month or so ago because I'm at my goal BF% and am not trying to put muscle on and gain strength. To do that I need to eat at a surplus and I cannot simply eat 2-2500 calories in that short of a time span. Well, I can but it ain't comfortable or pretty. Below is another article addressing what I just said...

https://robbwolf.com/2016/02/03/is-i...sting-for-you/

Damn I thought I was the only one interested in this. Guess I’m not a queer after all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.”

BTW - reddit has some great keto boards.

Ketodrunk is a good one if you need "healthy", different drinking ideas.

Progresspics is good for motivation if you need it.

And...the obvious - r/keto

I've been on that IF train for a few years now, with a few breaks in between. I just haven't done much reading as to whether it mixed well with Keto or not, though i can't see why it wouldn't. 16:8 as well and no calorie deficit, or maybe, i just down track it atm. I eat three meals at 12,4,8.

Insulin issues and low blood sugar episodes were common before IF.
    Last edited by everlast; 08-02-2018 at 02:44 PM. Reason: because I like to party
    -Samuel Adams

I thought this was about the Green Hornet.

Quote Originally Posted by clembo3 View Post
    Damn I thought I was the only one interested in this. Guess I’m not a queer after all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    those two are not mutually exclusive...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I've been on that IF train for a few years now, with a few breaks in between. I just haven't done much reading as to whether it mixed well with Keto or not, though i can't see why it wouldn't. 16:8 as well and no calorie deficit, or maybe, i just down track it atm. I eat three meals at 12,4,8.

Insulin issues and low blood sugar episodes were common before IF.
    IF and keto work very well together. It just depends on your goals as to how you want to implement it.

I've done both. I stress out trying to find enough non dairy fat sources to go wild with Keto but I did it and my blood work was fantastic a month later. I've since gone more to an IF model and just try to eat clean. I think my goal is to have a metabolic system that can burn carbs or body fat. I think the 16-8 model with some caloric restriction here and there keeps me in a pretty good mode. I can work out at lunch without feeling sluggish and haven't eaten since 6pm the prior day. The simpler you make something the easier it's going to be to maintain it.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Exactly! And where all this starts to make it's on gravy, as Rinella says, is that all of these ways of eating/diets/whatever, are just templates and baselines for you to follow. After some time you will need to or want to tweak things that fit you specifically. There is no one size fits all approach. Unfortunately this is where most people fail because they don't want to think or read and do any work. They want to be told what to eat, when and how much and oh by the way does anyone have any keto friendly ideas for beer, pizza and ice cream? Yeah, no. After some time of following basic guidelines most will stall and have to actually do something different that fits their lifestyle and body. It requires research, time and dedication. Here is where most will say, "Ah screw it. YOLO and pass the pasta!" Enter then the "Keto didn't work for me" statement. No. You didn't have the discipline to work for yourself and stick with it.
    Last edited by Glenn; 08-02-2018 at 04:28 PM.

Agreed on the non-dairy. That's a struggle. We try to find recipes that will become staples, and once its second nature and can be prepped on auto-pilot, we add some more. I hope to replace our staple recipes that have dairy eventually, but trying to keep it simple for now.
    -Samuel Adams

I've been trying IF for the last couple months and have definitely not had an issue sticking with it like I thought I would. I was thinking about Keto after doing some reading not long ago but never read into too much detail.

Do y'all have any recommendations for a good website that you like to get an idea of what I need to be doing?

Its really not that hard once you figure out that your body only needs fuel. Too much, you gonna get big. Too little, you gonna get small. Bad fuel is bad fuel.

You wouldn't fill your trucks tank up with water.... You also wouldn't fill the bed up with fuel if your tank was already full.

Point is, get your mind right, pick a realistic plan for your goal, and do it.

That said, IF works for me and my lifestyle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai