Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fly fishing

It is hard to beat EBAY for prices on fly gear once you know what you are looking for. People buy fly gear all the time, use it on one trip, and sell it at a huge loss.

Me? For NC streams I prefer a 6' 2wt or 7'9" 3wt. Many 20 and 30 inch class fish have been tamed with those rods.

Most of my fly use is on rockfish around here because it's fun to me. I've had a couple nicer setups over the years, but they've been 8 or 9 weights.. My newer 4 weight play around combo came from Orvis when I saw the Encounter. It's my truck rod, there's a need. I like it. I mean it's hard to look at really any body of water and not want to fish it, just a little.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    I talked to the older man at Cabela's and he said most all of the reels are reversible to right hand retrieve since I am also left handed and reel with my right hand.
    Most reels are indeed reversible but the pros (Lefty, Flip) highly recommend reeling with your strong hand. They say it matters most when a fish runs at you. Personally, I defy the advice and reel with my weak hand. I don't like having to switch hands to reel.

I cast lefty and reel with my right. On a recent trip I was lamenting about how guides always approach flats with right handed casters in mind. Since there are usually two fishermen in the boat, I've always had to backcast into the wind or just fight casting with the wind on my left shoulder. I mentioned that I might just need to learn to cast right handed. The first thing I was asked was which of my eyes is dominant. Supposedly, it matters as much with fly fishing as with wingshooting. I'm skeptical on that one.

On that same note, the advice I was given for how to most easily learn to cast with my other hand was to take two rods and cast both simultaneously. Something about how the brain is wired makes it much easier for my weak arm to learn the timing with symmetrical moves. Not sure how I'll practice a double haul though.

I'd first check with your buddy to find out how small the streams and rivers are that he's going to take you on so that you know if they are going to be 'wide open' or 'close quarters'.

For mountain streams in general, I like my 7'9"", 4wt, TFO rod I picked up at Cabelas. I already had a Battenkill II reel so it's a nice lightweight balanced rig. I think I've got Orvis or Rio Trout weight forward line on it, although one extra spool has double-taper line. You'll learn what that means as you go.

I believe the better Cabelas lines are Rio lines, but ask to make sure.

See if Stephen is still working in the fly shop at Cabelas and make an appointment to go spend a little time with him.

If your friend suggests a rod strong enough to use streamers, you'll want to probably go up to at least a 5wt or 6wt rod. Or get one of each as you can never have too many fly rods.

Btw, as noted above, until you get to at least a 6 wt line, the reel is really just a line holder and you don't need to spend a lot one one. What you want is one that is lightweight enough to balance with a shorter, lightweight rod. A good $20 reel for the light lines is the Crystal River reel at Academy Sports. Spend the extra bucks on the rod, line and flies.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 07-30-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Cocaine isn’t addictive.
    That does not disprove DC's statement.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I'll offer an opinion if you want another one. The guy at Cabelas is giving you pretty good advice IMO. For trout fishing in WNC a 4wt at 8' or so is a good all around rod. You can fish dry flies, nymphs and even some streamers. Lighter than a 4wt and you are going to have trouble casting larger flies, larger than a 4wt and you are going to feel like you are holding a surf cast rod if fishing a small stream. "First rod" suggestions are usually geared to get you fishing in as many opportunities you can with the rod. A medium action rod with some flex will also benefit you unless you are an advanced caster. Will be more of a pleasure to cast and anything over about 30' is just going to be lining and spooking fish. Good luck.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Fly fishing is probably more addicting than cocaine.
    Yea, if youre gay.

If you had but an inkling of the damage this small amount of flies cause then you might understand.

Get a bream buster and spend your money on flies. You will run through them starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by spur hunter View Post
    if you had but an inkling of the damage this small amount of flies cause then you might understand.

the purple glitter getter
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

TFO 8’6” 4 wt.
    and for WNC streams I like San Juan’s in natural colors and mop flies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    TFO 8’6” 4 wt.
    and for WNC streams I like San Juan’s in natural colors and mop flies.

Just go full gay retard and admit your favorite "fly" is a glow bug

"The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

L.O.L.

Quote Originally Posted by boondoggle View Post
    Just go full gay retard and admit your favorite "fly" is a glow bug

I like to catch fish and I catch plenty of them when did that make you gay?

spurs advice is spot on

I have carried both an 8'6" graphite rod and a cheap 6 foot two-piece fiberglass rod that was made in the 60's... the latter for TIGHT small streams (like the West Fork of the Chattooga).

For flys, I have done well with Hare's Ears (weighted/bead head and non-weighted) in #10 to #14 and, for dry fly work, your basic elk hair caddis in about a #12-14.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Maybe but real fly fishermen, the pinky out eccentric types that tie their own flies, know how to stack and spin deer hair to make a frog. None of that foam crap either.

And I've flown the pinky at times.

Looks good Spur!