Thread: Old USFG Video on Steel from Early Days

Default Old USFG Video on Steel from Early Days

Saw this video posted on another forum and found it interesting. My father and I hunted with Shell Block who was a guide at Tule Lake/Klamath Falls back then. It's long but some of the information is still applicable today, some is not. But it gives you a little insight into how steel was introduced back then.

Last edited by Gander; 07-26-2018 at 12:51 PM.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I remember when it was required the first time. It sure wasn’t very popular. Then they let you use lead for a few more years. When the steel was required the second time it was faster and seemed to be more effective.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

In the beginning it was just plain bad.

It still is bad

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

When steel first hit the market around 1980 my dad bought a case thinking it would be as good if not better than lead. After the first day on an out of state hunt, he bought a case of lead shotshells. That case never saw the light of day until the early 90's when we no longer had a choice.

I can remember a conversation I had with a group of other hunters one morning before the hunt. I kept telling them they shouldn't be using steel shot in their full fixed choked A5's. They laughed at me and said something along the lines of the ammo manufacturers wouldn't put out shells that would damage barrels. Wonder if they ended up with buldged barrels.
    Last edited by Gander; 07-30-2018 at 08:25 PM.

It sucked. I remember steel shot zones and lots of cripples and how bad it gummed up my 1100. I hate to think of how may ducks we crippled and lost till it got better and wer learned how to use it.

12 gauge 3 inch magnum #6 lead load from a full choke equaled death.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

still does
    "run and gun guide service"

Weren’t 16ga allowed to shoot lead longer?

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    Weren’t 16ga allowed to shoot lead longer?
    I know 20’s were
    80-20 Genaration

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

With lead 4s I could be on one side of Pee Dee and knock down woodies on the other side......in some places. Buffered handloads of plated 4s were death to the quackers.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Federal Light Magnum #6 and copper plated lead #4 could kill the shit out of anything that could fly. I miss that stuff.