Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boykin??

They are cute puppies but ugly dogs. If you’re not going to hunt the mut, get a Cocker instead.

That may be the faggiest post of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    So, would it be true that, generally, a female would be more calm and easier to handle??
    NO. thought the same thing. had 2 different trainers say there is nothing more stubborn than a female boykin. i went w a boykin a while ago bc of size as well. a hyper 35 lbs is worse than a calm 70 lbs imo. we grew up w 90-100 lb labs but you can find a smaller lab not much bigger than a leggier boykin. not sure what i will do next time but i will definitely look hard at lineage if I go w a LBD. as someone previously stated depends on the one you get. for a GMO I really enjoyed mine
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

We had a Boykin at one time and he definitely required a lot of exercise. We gave him to a friend of ours once we found out we were expecting child number 3. Labs make good inside dogs due to their ability to lounge around and be all business when the time is right. My old male lab would let the other girls climb on him and he could care less. We are now looking to add another dog to the home as an inside dog and it’s between another lab or a field bred English cocker. There are some good Boykins also just got to find the right people breeding them for the right reasons, not just because everybody wants one but for the benefit of the breed

Quote Originally Posted by awest79 View Post
    There are some good Boykins also just got to find the right people breeding them for the right reasons, not just because everybody wants one but for the benefit of the breed
    So, who might that be??
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by boondoggle View Post

I was giving him a break from the ice on the Potomac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brutha, you got played
    Great pic.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    So, who might that be??
    Definitely have no idea on a good breeder for Boykins. Just ones mentioned on past threads in this forum. Seems like I have heard good things about goose pond ( I think that’s the name) and I am sure one of the guys that train for a living could direct you in the right direction.

That Kim chick comes to mind, everyone seems to love her....

If this isn't your answer, I don't know what is.

Give Blaine a call, that’s all you’ll need to do to find a really nice breeding. With Boykins, it’s all in doing the research to find a nice dog.

I got my one and only Boykin at the age of 14 and he went everywhere with me. He was an awesome little dog that had the ability to be a better than average bird dog had I worked with him more, but he was the perfect pet. He eventually grew to be a great Woodcock dog of all things. He never chewed or was particularly destructive however he did have a tendency to eat socks which eventually landed his ass at the vet with an impaction. I don't think you can go wrong with a Boykin from a reputable breeder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    That Kim chick comes to mind, everyone seems to love her....
    Kim Parkman in Sumter, is that who you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by scbulldog View Post
    There is a guy named Griffin on here that breeds them. You should PM him. Nice fella, he used to be in the Navy or something
    X2

Loves the Navy and Clemson.

ETA: Kayak might have one for sale by now. Assuming the breeder hasn't taken it back from him by now.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 07-27-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    Kim Parkman in Sumter, is that who you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by SCcdp View Post
    I got my one and only Boykin at the age of 14 and he went everywhere with me. He was an awesome little dog that had the ability to be a better than average bird dog had I worked with him more, but he was the perfect pet. He eventually grew to be a great Woodcock dog of all things. He never chewed or was particularly destructive however he did have a tendency to eat socks which eventually landed his ass at the vet with an impaction. I don't think you can go wrong with a Boykin from a reputable breeder.
    My female does the same thing with socks. She has shit out countless socks that she ate from my 2 year old daughter. I’m just waiting on her to get ahold of one of mine or my wife’s. We do our best to keep them up but she always finds them. Otherwise she is the perfect dog. High strung but I knew that getting her. Plenty of exercise and she lays on the couch right beside you. I must have got a runt because she’s only 19 lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

Boykins are supposed to be bred as working dogs. As such they need a job of some kind or they will find a job for themselves...you don't want that. They are getting very popular and folks are coming out of the woodwork breeding any Boykins they got around for the dollar. Buy a pup from working stock or you will be sorry.

UH SHR "Lily" CH
    HR Promise
    SHR Piper
    SHR Maizey
    UH SHR Story
    UH SHR Ever
    SHR Hal
    SHR Rumor

So, I think we have decided to get a Boykin puppy. If any of yall know of a good pet-grade puppy, shoot me a PM and I'll check it out. I'm not concerned about titles and such, just want a good dog. Ideally, a small one.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Send wcrites a PM or call the society. They could let you know of some litters.

That bottom dog is purty