Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boykin??

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Damn...That little dog did all that??
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

I have been around 4 Boykins. 3 are really great dogs, one is good but he literally humps EVERYTHING. Seriously....everything...all day
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

No small children to worry about here. I have owned several great Labs, but this time, I want a smaller dog. It will live inside.
    I may not even end up with a hunting breed, but I want to consider all my options. Boykins just seem about the right size and most are beautiful dogs.

It's no secret that I'm a lab fan through and through. But....damn if Sporting and his brother don't have two damn fine Boykins. Tons of energy and tons of drive. I'm impressed!!!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Another vote for Boykin here, mine is great around the house and will pick up birds with minimal training on my part. He’s almost too smart at times and will quickly learn anything for a piece of cheese. Right at whopping 33lbs

I think it was FEETS that posted on a similar thread saying, "Take $2,000 and set it on fire, it will be less painful" After 8 months into owning a Boykin for the first time in about 30 years, he was spot on.
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

Never seen or owned one, but Professor on here has or had American Water Spaniels. There's a pic of one in his avatar. I've seen him talk highly of them in other Boykin threads. I think they are roughly the same size.

So, would it be true that, generally, a female would be more calm and easier to handle??

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    They are high strung
    Nice way to say they are super nutty. They can be great dogs if you run the fool out of them every day all day. To have one sit in the house and throw the bumper 3 times after work won't cut it.
    Last edited by scdiver; 07-26-2018 at 08:20 PM.

When i think of boykins, i think of all the people who I've heard say they had good or great labs. Then later share a dove field or something with those same individuals and come to the conclusion that i wouldn't even feed that POS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Run.

I’ve got two now and they’re a pleasure. No real formal training and have been great hunters. My male is laid back until he sees me pick up a gun. The female is a wiry one sometimes but I make sure they both go on a daily walk/swim and when they come back in they usually knock out for the rest of the night.

13FDEFFC-E493-4EA3-A49D-E1AD3633BEAE.jpg

They are the best dove dogs you can get.
    Last edited by fracas714; 07-26-2018 at 05:00 PM.

got Mine from brads boykin’s in abbeville. He’s a fixture of the household, just a good ol dog. Got an 8 month old who grabbed coop’s sore ear (they’re notorious for keeping ear infections). Coop whimpered until I pulled my son’s hand off. Never nipped or growled. I’m pleased with him. They have their moments, love them just like anything else and they’ll love you back. It’s like anything worth it, you get out what you put in.

One important question I have for the Boykin hunters are how cold is to cold? Would you have hunted in the midlands in January during the cold snap with a Boykin, 90% of ponds were frozen?

I was giving him a break from the ice on the Potomac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Miss my Boykin like crazy! They are great dogs!

There is a guy named Griffin on here that breeds them. You should PM him. Nice fella, he used to be in the Navy or something

I have a long history with Boykins (founded the rescue), they are bred to be working dogs and working dogs need to be worked. Just like labs they all have different personalities and drive. I was without a dog for a couple of seasons and got a chocolate lab from an awesome line and she’s a great dog though she prefers the dove field to ice and water. I got another Boykin last August and he’s got drive to spare. He can be hardheaded but he’s extremely smart and catches on quick. I’ve also had some Boykins that would rather lay on the couch and chill. Go to a Boykin trial or a trainer that is training a Boykin and watch them.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"