Thread: Plant ID...

Default Plant ID...

In early June we had some torrential downpours and the dam on this pond busted. We had drained others adjacent to it earlier in the spring and planted, but decided to leave water on this one. Obviously from the pics there is no more water, and 1.5 months later we have enormous amounts of this grass/weed. We plan on fixing the dam and re-flooding at some point before the season, but Im curious as to what this is. This is in the Upstate and the grass is about 3-4 tall right now. Thanks to any who can help...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Smooth_Operator; 07-29-2018 at 08:48 PM. Reason: UPDATE

I have no clue what it is, but just by looking at it it doesn't look good
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Yeah those are my thoughts as well, this was a pond that hadnt been drained in at least 3-4 years, my hope is that in the very least it will provide some cover and hold some bugs/invertebrates for the ducks when re-flooded. Anyone else have an opinion on what this may be?

smart weed and some poke you in the eye grass.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Thats Mother Nature showing you the way.

And since the dam is busted, go ahead and install a control structure.

Default Plant ID...

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    And since the dam is busted, go ahead and install a control structure.
    Thats exactly what we plan on doing, weve seen no beaver activity in the time since the dam busted so we plan on installing a leveler sometime in the next few weeks...

Last edited by Smooth_Operator; 07-26-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Looks good to hide in
    867-5309

Plant jap millet and flood it
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

A pond left to weed up and then flooded can be a ringneck magnet.

Looks like a wetland nutsedge.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

yank some up and see if there are any tubers in the roots

So a little update from today, it has been almost two full weeks and the place looks a lot different than the last time I was here. The tall green grass looking stuff has suddenly developed seed heads and it appears to be yellow nutsedge, aka wild chufa, if Im not mistaken. Good call CatDaddy. The sedge has also laid down quite a bit, revealing a ton more smartweed littered throughout.
    The part where Im standing and not shown in the pics were cut and sprayed, and seeded with jap millet last time I was here. Stuff has taken off, put the fertilizer to it today, gonna seed another strip 100 yards to right of the blind and leave the other half of the pond just like it is. I was a little worried seeing this stuff last time I was there, but am optimistic after seeing everything today. Thanks for yalls help...

Keep the water out til Nov and you should have some ducks. Woodies will love the sedge. Last pic is button bush I believe. Large white flower, followed by gritty sead pods. I find mallards in them often but most likely just using for cover. Let me know if you need guidance on the pond leveler pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    Keep the water out til Nov and you should have some ducks. Woodies will love the sedge. Last pic is button bush I believe. Large white flower, followed by gritty sead pods. I find mallards in them often but most likely just using for cover. Let me know if you need guidance on the pond leveler pipe.
    Will do bud, I think I have a source lined up for the pipe I need but I may hit you for advice/tips when the time comes.

Got a similar situation going on, put a leveler in Feb, let the pond drain down for the first time since I’ve owned it. There’s always been a good bit of smartweed in this pond, but the nutsedge seems to be pushing the smartweed out.

The smartweed seed covers the pond surface in Oct, like a damn mat of seed, but I’ve never seen a duck eat the seed. They do seem to “bug” in the underwater portion of the smartweed however.

So I’m wondering, what would you rather have in Fairfield Co, smartweed or nutsedge? Pond usually holds woodies and gadwall.

D226342B-F5C0-4751-AEF9-766607134F95.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by welltaut View Post
    Got a similar situation going on, put a leveler in Feb, let the pond drain down for the first time since I’ve owned it. There’s always been a good bit of smartweed in this pond, but the nutsedge seems to be pushing the smartweed out.

The smartweed seed covers the pond surface in Oct, like a damn mat of seed, but I’ve never seen a duck eat the seed. They do seem to “bug” in the underwater portion of the smartweed however.

So I’m wondering, what would you rather have in Fairfield Co, smartweed or nutsedge? Pond usually holds woodies and gadwall.

D226342B-F5C0-4751-AEF9-766607134F95.jpg
    I didn't comment earlier because it makes no difference this year, but that nutsedge is a poor duck food at best. Smartweeed and/japmillet/ barnyard grass is alot better food.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk