Thread: Blueberries found

Default Blueberries found

After being in my home for 2 years I found a blueberry bush hidden on my property. It appears to be very helpful and bearing fruit. Since I love blue berries I want to kick that joker into high gear. I cleared the surrounding trees and brush to give it more sunlight and gain access to the berries growing on the backside of the bush. Would it make things easier if I did a soil test to see what the pH is and what it has and doesn't have? Or is that overthinking it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Is it a Wild Blueberry bush or was it planted and then forgotten about by previous landowner?

Your answer determines best management practices for it.
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 07-16-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Blueberries like acidic souls so no lime, ever. Too late to fertilize this year but hit it next year late winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

well, if its so damn helpful, get it to fix itself.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

pine bark for mulch

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    well, if its so damn helpful, get it to fix itself.
    Not that helpful... it is healthy though.

Could use a little flouride.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

They usually do best with multiple bushes in the same area.

Quote Originally Posted by jwmetz View Post
    They usually do best with multiple bushes in the same area.
    I guess I should have been more specific. They're actually is multiple plants within a 2 or 3 foot diameter.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    Is it a Wild Blueberry bush or was it planted and then forgotten about by previous landowner?

Your answer determines best management practices for it.
    Honestly, I got no clue. It's on an man-made berm so maybe it was planted. Previous owners live out state and I have no way or desire to contact them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

If it's wild it's a northern highbush blueberry. The lowbush only grows as far south as the Smokeys. The highbush grows on the east coast from Canada to Florida. I see them all the time along old logging roads in more or less soil. Also on old burns. They usually have a few smalls berries which I grab for trail snacks. I've never seen a wild highbush with many or big berries. But most I see or just wild, if you fed them right they may make great fruit. There is some speculation that the NDNs cultivated them at one time.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 07-16-2018 at 05:32 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Fish emulsion fertilizer. Can be found at lowes or anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    If it's wild it's a northern highbush blueberry. The lowbush only grows as far south as the Smokeys. The highbush grows on the east coast from Canada to Florida. I see them all the time along old logging roads in more or less soil. Also on old burns. They usually have a few smalls berries which I grab for trail snacks. I've never seen a wild highbush with many or big berries. But most I see or just wild, if you fed them right they may make great fruit. There is some speculation that the NDNs cultivated them at one time.
    Mergie, I've seen the highbush loaded up down here before!
    Only with good rain thought ...they are good but dayum the seeds!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Different animal but I have a large patch of blackberries. Last January I mowed them down and mulched them good with wood chips. Did not fruit that year but this year I broadcast some 10-10-10 in March, then quail-shit-tea twice before they flowered. Fruit was twice the size and 3x as sweet as the wild stuff on the fencerows.

I haven't come up with a plan for my blueberries yet but they need something. They are very bitter. Mulch for sure and a PH test in the immediate area would be a start.