Thread: Flash freeze and vacuum sealing....

Default Flash freeze and vacuum sealing....

I want to flash freeze and vacuum some fresh veggies anyone with experience in this know if they need to be blanched. I understand and know the blanching process just not sure if it is required prior to flash freezing specifically.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

i looked this up for sweet corn the other day. let me find the link.

please hold....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.fcfb2b10d184

silly article but made me feel better about it. I dont plan to blanch the corn more than a couple of minutes even though the article says 4.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    I want to flash freeze and vacuum some fresh veggies anyone with experience in this know if they need to be blanched. I understand and know the blanching process just not sure if it is required prior to flash freezing specifically.
    Old lady that was a customer of mine, who is the kind of lady you listen to about things like this, told me one time to Blanch them first. Not sure what the internet says or if it's 100% necessary, but I've listened to her and had good results.

A good informative table with blanching times can be bfound here per The National Center for Home Food Preservation. httpshfp.uga.edu/how/freeze/blanching.html

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hosscat; 07-12-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Always have blanched all vegetables before freezing. Corn not as long as 4 minutes as that seems like it is almost cooked. Peas and beans I blanch and let cool then put in zip loks.

Have always blanched corn and beans at least two minutes then into an ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Results have been good. My Grandparents did it this way for years.

Not sayin it's wrong, but I never imagined seeing anything related to canning/freezing on a Washington Post link.

Only thing we don't blanch or can is zuch and squash. Just cut up and vacuum seal. Not as good as fresh, consistency can be a tad rubbery after a while but still mostly better than store bought in late winter. If there is a better way I'm sure open to hearing about it.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles