Thread: ASL Tutorial

Default ASL Tutorial

Anyone have any suggestions or an online tutorial for sign language?

We have several deaf athletes at our gym and I also have a few deaf clients at my practice. I know enough to be dangerous but not enough to feel comfortable. I could be telling them "good job" or "your mayonnaise smells perky".

Most of our clients/athletes do a great job of reading lips but I've got some where the communication barrier can be frustrating for all of us. I can't teach them to hear so figured I'd learn to sign.

Any help is appreciated.

Put an iPad on a rope around your neck and get some talk-to-text app for it. Boom. Problem solved.

I wonder if Garrett Morris is still alive?

I'll give you a hand for the effort. See what I did there? No seriously. Awesome gesture.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but I remember reading about an app on your cell phone/tablet that will translate your words into sign language. Might be something you could use to help you learn as well as to describe more complex things to them. I don't remember the exact app, but I'm sure it can't be that hard to find on google.

Glenn - I have a client that teaches sign language to the parents of deaf children. I will ask them for a recommendation for you.

I applaud you for your efforts in going the extra mile for your clients and cross fit friends!
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 07-12-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I'll give you a hand for the effort. See what I did there? No seriously. Awesome gesture.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but I remember reading about an app on your cell phone/tablet that will translate your words into sign language. Might be something you could use to help you learn as well as to describe more complex things to them. I don't remember the exact app, but I'm sure it can't be that hard to find on google.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    Glenn - I have a client that teaches sign language to the parents of deaf children. I will ask them for a recommendation for you.

I applaud you for your efforts in going the extra mile for your clients and cross fit friends!
    And thank you!

You forgetting someone......

And you as well, sir!

Last edited by Glenn; 07-12-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Wooooooo!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Put an iPad on a rope around your neck and get some talk-to-text app for it. Boom. Problem solved.
    solid plan right here or just get an etch-a-sketch and wear that around your neck.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 07-12-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Text them
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Go out to dinner, grab a beer with them and their friends. You will learn more from them through immersion than anywhere else. Learn to sign basic English and they'll teach you ASL.

When I lived in Greenville back in the 80's I was a member of the Greenville deaf club and did volunteer work at Spartanburg School for the Deaf. It's a whole different world being the only hearing person at the table in a crowded restaurant, know that.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Look, it ain’t PNobes fault, he only knows 7 signs, the rest is just animation.

From my client...let me know if you want their contact info.

Sure! Start with this. http://www.lifeprint.com/index.htm

From time to time we have classes in the upstate. If he's interested, we can add him to our list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Look, it ain’t PNobes fault, he only knows 7 signs, the rest is just animation.