Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For you Vets and dog trainers

Default For you Vets and dog trainers

Long story. We picked up a Brittany at 12 weeks old. Comes from good line. at 16 weeks fell and injured knee which requires surgery. Was created for 7 weeks with sedation. Cleared June 5 but since then has become very destructive and wants to "Nip" at us. We were scared to let go at the house as we have no fence. Took to a ball field yesterday and was suprised he did not just run crazy.

Any tricks to stop the nipping? He will get items he know he should not have but can't seem to learn to leave alone.

Before this he was loving and starting to learn.

Looking at obedience classes but need to find a way to control him

THX

BT1955
    Last edited by bluetick1955; 07-11-2018 at 08:52 AM.
    Bluetick

Beat his ass, but im no dog trainer. I have made 2 or 3 listen to me...
    Last edited by SCswampCAT; 07-11-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Not gonna beat him
    Bluetick

Not in a literal sense where you almost kill him.. but I bet if he nipped at you and you slapped his head off his body one time he'd think twice about it the next time.

Put a collar on him and fry him when he nips. Saves your hand a beating.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

He is a dog. Treat him like a dog. If he nipped at another dog who was more dominant than him what would happen? I would not tolerate that behavior long.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

He's a puppy. That's all that's wrong with him. As mentioned, cut his ass. If you don't, he'll continue to bite you. What's cute now, won't be in a few months. They are pack animals & need an alpha.

Edit; I'm not a vet or a dog trainer.
    Last edited by Mars Bluff; 07-11-2018 at 09:38 AM.

My dog aggressively nipped at me once....just once. Hasn’t done it since after correcting him.

I have a spaniel that will grab what he shouldn’t around the house as well. Only seems to do it when he wants to be an ass and get attention regardless of punishment.
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 07-11-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Plus one for cut dat azz

Don't overdo the smacking but give him a good lick when he snaps. Don't knock him crosseyed. Brits are real sensitive to too much punishment. He will come around.

Brits are too social sensitive. I remember one that got popped once and would not come near a person again except to eat.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Don't overdo the smacking but give him a good lick when he snaps. Don't knock him crosseyed. Brits are real sensitive to too much punishment. He will come around.

Brits are too social sensitive. I remember one that got popped once and would not come near a person again except to eat.
    Decipher 101; Shoulda got a Lab.

if its just puppy biting "playing" Ignore it, it will stop when his adult teeth come in . If he is being aggressive and biting. Snatch his ass up with both hands by the neck, put him on his back and scream and act like a maniac while you hold his ass down. If performed correctly, he should piss himself. After he quits squirming, let him up and give him some good pets and forget that shit ever happened. It wont. .. All my dogs have tried me at least once. I have 7 right now.
    UH SHR "Lily" CH
    HR Promise
    SHR Piper
    SHR Maizey
    UH SHR Story
    UH SHR Ever
    SHR Hal
    SHR Rumor

I "heart" that Bill.

Puppys, no matter the breed, are a complete pain in the ass.

Whackumstacum's dog trainer killed a grown ass rattlesnake with a 2ft. stick. If he can tame that snake with a twig, he can surely help you with your dog.

my 8mo old, Griffin, is a little shit sometimes. I have a hard time getting the other people in my house to discipline sternly enough to help. This puppy used to go in the bathroom and chew at the toilet paper roll. He now cowers if i come at him with a roll of something white. But, he will still go into my wife's or daughter's bathroom and help himself.

I agree with the boykin whisperer. When he nips. Shut his mouth and go freaking crazy. he's a puppy. he will get it.

I had to have a stern, physical encounter with this same shit the other day and my wife and daughter looked at me like I had finally lost it. After, the pup came up to me like I was the most important person on the planet. and, I am.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Fought a Brit for 9 months several years back. Nothing would do to correct his behavior and eventually he had to leave our home (small child). Good luck, that Brit is the reason I’ve had Springers since he left. Totally different animal.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Beat his ass, but im no dog trainer. I have made 2 or 3 listen to me...
    This!!
    Poverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"

Sounds like the dog is broke get a lab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd suggest a full work up. CBC, Chem 17, lytes, T3/T4/FT4/TSH, ACTH Stim, B12 absorption test, Fecal and full body x-rays.

Should be able to hook you up for $5-600