Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round Up goes to trial

Damn

So.. I’ll be the first to admit I’m not versed on the ag business or herbicides, nor am I gonna speculate on how the effects should or shouldn’t be handled and what the outcome should have been. Just tell me what the potential end consequences will be for the common peasant, other than a few extra weeds in the yard.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

If Monsanto ends up having to cut a check for anything remotely close to that award, common pheasants will find themselves in the tall grass in short order...

It will get appealed. But there were 5000+ similar lawsuits pending BEFORE this verdict.

I wasn't in the courtroom to see all the evidemce but I've read alot on this trial and have yet to see anything that shows a definitive link between roundup and cancer. Not saying there isn't one. Just that I'd like to see a little more than a guy who used to spray round up at a school that says he got lymphoma after just 2 years on the job.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 08-10-2018 at 10:17 PM.

I’m sure cotton seed just went from $620 to $1,500.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    It will get appealed. But there were 5000+ similar lawsuits pending BEFORE this verdict.

I wasn't in the courtroom to see all the evidemce but I've read alot on this trial and have yet to see anything that shows a definitive link between roundup and cancer. Not saying there isn't one. Just that I'd like to see a little more than a guy who used to spray round up at a school that says he got lymphoma after just 2 years on the job.
    All you have to do is read medical journals and it will give you all the evidence you need. I’m think Monsanto deserves this one.

Not much in California. Untreated wood has a label on it out there due to proposition 65.
    Disneyland literally has a sign on it that says it causes cancer.

No doubt the politician that pushed that law had a side business with a government contract to make small signs.
    Last edited by billyjack; 08-11-2018 at 07:33 AM.

Lots of emails flying around at Bayer right now. Big implications for Scott's as well, right?

Quote Originally Posted by tjm84 View Post
    So.. I’ll be the first to admit I’m not versed on the ag business or herbicides, nor am I gonna speculate on how the effects should or shouldn’t be handled and what the outcome should have been. Just tell me what the potential end consequences will be for the common peasant, other than a few extra weeds in the yard.
    Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    All you have to do is read medical journals and it will give you all the evidence you need. I’m think Monsanto deserves this one.
    You kidding dude? You ever read a chemical label? Monsanto (and every other pesticide manufacturer) has precautions front to back. Spray it right and you got no problems. I suppose your down with all the “hot coffee burned me” lawsuits too?
    Last edited by SaltMuck; 08-11-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

He's probably on board to sue gunmakers for mass shootings too.

Banded is like a litmus test. The day he agrees with me is the day I worry. Unfortunately he and others like him make up a large contingent of our peers.

Care to post some of these articles from the "medical journals" Banded?

And then after that you can explain how a school maintenance worker that sprays round up for 2 years is more susceptible to lymphoma than farmers and landscapers who have doing it for 30+ years.

Banded is like a litmus test. The day he agrees with me is the day I worry. Unfortunately he and others like him make up a large contingent of our peers.

Care to post some of these articles from the "medical journals" Banded?

And then after that you can explain how a school maintenance worker that sprays round up for 2 years is more susceptible to lymphoma than farmers and landscapers who have doing it for 30+ years.

First of all I will admit I used a bad choice of words. I do not agree with the awarding of money in this case. My explanation of Monsanto getting what they deserved is a very bad choice of words on my part. No, I don’t agree with hot coffee lawsuits. I was just trying to point out that there have been numerous studies on herbicides and pesticides causing cancer. Specifically glyphosate. From everything I have read, their is hard science on the fact that it causes cancer.

With that said I do believe that if all precautions are taken, as in gloves and spray suits, the risk is pretty much wiped away. I would not award this guy but there are cases out there of people that have been doing things right, but still may be affected by it. The science is there.

It’s not worth my time to list sources because a simple internet search will give you the info. Also nothing I post is going to change anyone’s opinion here. I personally hate Monsanto. I think they are a greedy company. I think that is why I said the last sentence but did not mean this guy should have gotten money. Some of Monsanto’s lawsuits against farmers are redicoulous as well.

Tort reform is very high on my list of needs in our county. But it will never happen because unfortunately our government is made up of lawyers. The same ones that make money off people and these lawsuits.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 08-11-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Tort reform is an issue we can agree on. The fact that this was a 4 week trial and I have yet to see any damning evidence that came from the trial is another issue. What kind of person is able to sit on a jury for a solid month (especially a round up lawsuit)?

One thing I will add about the coffee lawsuit is that McDonalds did that one to themselves. All the woman wanted was to have McDonalds pay for her medical bills. And she did have legitimate 3rd degree burns. They refused and it eventually went to trial. The jury came out and said that the punishment was for how they handled the issue and the fact that there were so many other cases where people had been burned. And they ultimately settled for a less amount.

I'm all for punishing Monsanto if they were negligent or did something deceitful. I just haven't seen it in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    First of all I will admit I used a bad choice of words. I do not agree with the awarding of money in this case. My explanation of Monsanto getting what they deserved is a very bad choice of words on my part. No, I don’t agree with hot coffee lawsuits. I was just trying to point out that there have been numerous studies on herbicides and pesticides causing cancer. Specifically glyphosate. From everything I have read, their is hard science on the fact that it causes cancer.

With that said I do believe that if all precautions are taken, as in gloves and spray suits, the risk is pretty much wiped away. I would not award this guy but there are cases out there of people that have been doing things right, but still may be affected by it. The science is there.

It’s not worth my time to list sources because a simple internet search will give you the info. Also nothing I post is going to change anyone’s opinion here. I personally hate Monsanto. I think they are a greedy company. I think that is why I said the last sentence but did not mean this guy should have gotten money. Some of Monsanto’s lawsuits against farmers are redicoulous as well.

Tort reform is very high on my list of needs in our county. But it will never happen because unfortunately our government is made up of lawyers. The same ones that make money off people and these lawsuits.
    ONE company has said that Round-up causes cancer, The World Health Organization, that is all. Anyone else is piggy-backing on their reports. Many scientists have questioned the WHO’s view as unfounded and opinionated. The EPA found it “Not Likely Carcenogenic to Humans” in 2017.

I'm believe the govt and big corps like I believe in the tooth fairy- I worked in the Navy nuke program refueling the sub reactors and good old uncle says the radiation wouldn't hurt me- it might not, but I have many issues that can be linked to the exposure -proving it is another story.
    Same as agent orange.
    Asbestos wouldn't hurt you either- best thing since sliced bread.

There is a high incidence of farmers developing parkisons- damn sure John Deere didn't cause it.

Monsanto has more money than any legal team and this will be appealed until the plaintiff's children are dead and gone- Monsanto wins again. I'm not sayin that round up caused that man's problems- but it could have, he just might have a genetic make up that makes him more susceptible to the chemical- he might be the 1 lab rat out of 1000 that it kills.

This is like the people that are scared of Deet. Apparently, they feel safer with a bug spitting directly into their veins than the slight possibility that they are abnormally susceptible to the rare side effects of the mosquito repellent.

Even if this guy could prove his cancer came from Roundup exposure, it still doesn't warrant crushing the company that produces it. More people worldwide will die of starvation if glyphosate is banned than will ever get cancer from it.

Anything can cause cancer if you ingest enough of it. Seriously.

We won't approve cancer treatments that work on 1 in 1,000 lab rats, but we will award $250,000,000 to some knuckle-head who has cancer because he might be the one lab rat in 1,000 who got cancer from glyphosate?

This will be appealed, rightfully so, and not a fraction of the original settlement will be paid out.

Exactly, god knows how much of this stuf I’ve worn in the last 35 years much less 2-4-D
    80-20 Genaration

Day in and day out I spray. I'll die of something. Someday.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com