Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Healthy Eating

i guess part of my point is that stripa should want the sick people to get advice from doctors....but he thinks these people wont change and he doesnt agree with the doctors....so i dont know what else to say. plus, he used a lot of big words earlier so i'm kinda confused.

i guess i'd ask stripa where he expects the unhealthy, overweight diabetic to get his or her advice?

and please understand i said the leafy green offended you, not me personally.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Genetics are the major contributor to a persons life expectancy, only rivaled by exercise. Bacon, white rice and chocolate fudge ice cream ain't gonna kill anyone.��
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Genetics are the major contributor to a persons life expectancy, only rivaled by exercise. Bacon, white rice and chocolate fudge ice cream ain't gonna kill anyone.��
    Stay out of cerebral discussions and stick to googling fat chicks and fart jokes.

Fat chicks need loving too honey.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

It's the job of every medical professional to suggest preventative practices for a healthier patient. Dentists teach you how to floss and brush effectively, doctors should tell you what to get out of your diet. It's not like they're telling you where to worship or how to vote. And it's not as if it isn't your own choice at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    It's the job of every medical professional to suggest preventative practices for a healthier patient. Dentists teach you how to floss and brush effectively, doctors should tell you what to get out of your diet. It's not like they're telling you where to worship or how to vote. And it's not as if it isn't your own choice at the end of the day.
    I don’t disagree. The problem is doctors get very little useful education when it comes to preventative dietary practices.

The pharmaceutical industry would take a MASSIVE hit if people practiced good dietary/lifestyle habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    That's a damned good point, Tater. I'm not sure I know enough to give a good answer but it's worth exploring. I think psychotherapy is probably valuable part of treating certain conditions. It also doesn't require as much medical training as an MD....so billing would be more in line with the value of the service. I think physical therapy is a valuable component for medical treatment but it doesn't bring neurosurgeon rates for obvious reasons. I don't think Psychologists should be able to bill a 3rd party payer for diet monitoring.

I have studied the science of diet a lot. Medical studies and diet studies for the most part are correlative in nature. The causal mechanisms in such a multivariate environment aren't well understood and doctors aren't really in the business of pushing scientific understanding to new levels. There are general and broadly accepted guidelines to a healthy lifestyle that are free and readily available to anyone that gives a shit. If giving a shit is the problem, then maybe a psychologist is a better and more effective solution than a diet "lifestyle" doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i guess part of my point is that stripa should want the sick people to get advice from doctors
    Chronic lifestyle diseases weren't the norm when the current medical establishment was put in place. I don't understand what advantage doctors provide since I think we all agree they don't have any exclusive knowledge about the impact of diet on health. There are cheaper ways to get basic information to people than recurring visits to highly specialized medical professionals. I like greens. I'm sure I'd like your brother. I don't think this is the best upgrade path for societal health. It's an honest opinion.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Chronic lifestyle diseases weren't the norm when the current medical establishment was put in place. I don't understand what advantage doctors provide since I think we all agree they don't have any exclusive knowledge about the impact of diet on health. There are cheaper ways to get basic information to people than recurring visits to highly specialized medical professionals. I like greens. I'm sure I'd like your brother. I don't think this is the best upgrade path for societal health. It's an honest opinion.
    Damn. I see where you are headed with this...

I do, too, but I'm trying to get him to say it....OR to give some opinions on what he thinks is the best route for the unhealthy patient....but he never gives solutions. He just points out problems.

and to add to what others said above....conferences like this are one way to help medical professionals learn more about diet. I have a really hard time seeing that as a bad thing.

The interesting part, to me, is that Stripa doesnt even agree with the information being presented and thinks HE is a better independent researcher. So, who do you believe? There's a WEALTH of info on the www and can be incredibly confusing to me...and I can actually read. So, who has the actual right answer or, heaven forbid, is labluvr's DNA discussion the one????

Y'all have to admit my opinion about genetics is one that cannot be overlooked, it might be the most important. also, remember I am always right.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Toofer....I will heal you, brother.....for free. Put the doughnut down. Smile. Problem solved.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Y'all have to admit my opinion about genetics is one that cannot be overlooked, it might be the most important. also, remember I am always right.
    It’s a cop out and used as a reason to avoid the difficulty of self discipline and change.

Toofer....I will heal you, brother.....for free. Put the doughnut down. Smile. Problem solved.
    but what if I cant smile without the donut?

Psychologist? Psychodelics? Try and try again?

Rubberhead