Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Healthy Eating

If nutritional and healthy lifestyle counseling is what is needed, "we" don't need to pay the current "healthcare system" to perform the service. If "you" want to pay "your" medical professional to tell you what they "believe" you should eat.....go for it.
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 07-10-2018 at 09:08 AM.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

and people say i'm a pessimist

why are you so defensive about this? Did a piece of lettuce offend you at some point?

i'm gonna leave out all the quotes so pick the words you want to emphasize...but if you read deeper, the drain on the healthcare system is from the sick people who cause their own illnesses due to lifestyle. I would think its the doctor's JOB to fix that.

or, hell, maybe i'm not smart enough to grasp all this.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Raid View Post
    Years ago I had an elderly gentleman (78) tell me, during my healthy weightlifting cardio eating right green leaf always loose stool days, that if that diet was the way to long living his generation would have been off the planet long ago. He ate grits and eggs for breakfast, always had a few pieces of bacon on the stove, loved to fry fish, ate steak once a week with a baked potato loaded with real butter, and enjoyed six beers daily with a bourbon before bed. To my knowledge he is still living today although I heard he is more into the bourbon as his choice instead of the six beers.
    i think you're a monumental racist ass but the difference between the generations is in the processing of the same foods....and the lifestyle.

What I find interesting is the fact that we got stuck with the dentist of the family and not the real doctor. Carry on.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    and people say i'm a pessimist

why are you so defensive about this? Did a piece of lettuce offend you at some point?

i'm gonna leave out all the quotes so pick the words you want to emphasize...but if you read deeper, the drain on the healthcare system is from the sick people who cause their own illnesses due to lifestyle. I would think its the doctor's JOB to fix that.

or, hell, maybe i'm not smart enough to grasp all this.
    It's the doctor's job to fix a broken leg, bullet wound or staple a cut. Fixing a lifestyle is not, should not and will not be their job. It's the individuals job. The Dr's job in that aspect is delivery of information. But as I've said in the past, information alone is not enough to change behavior. It has to be implemented and put into practice by the INDIVIDUAL! Now if the individual has the needed and correct information and still chooses to live a reckless life then that's on them and they should pay. The drain on our healthcare system and the economy comes from the fact .gov has labeled these people victims of crappy genetics and not crappy choices. It's a lie perpetuated to gain control over the people and that aspect of our economy. In a perfect world these people who are chronically ill due to their own self destruction would be left to suffer the financial and physical consequences of their actions.

I think your brother should be paid for consultations on diet and lifestyle management and once he does it's on the patient to do with it what they choose. If they choose to ignore his advice then their insurance company should choose to raise their rates and leave mine the hell alone.

BUT, glenn, the drain on the system is the sick people and if 75% of their illnesses are self-inflicted, the doctor needs to stop them from inflicting themselves.

AND, my brother is taking it a step further. He is not only going to deliver the info, but he's going to hold the patient accountable by recall visits, dietary counseling, etc. He is tired of giving the info and not following up. Lifestyle physicians will put a regimen in place with return visits to update how well they are doing. I think its a good idea...but I also think he should get paid.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 07-10-2018 at 12:05 PM.

My buddy that we lease from is 98.he smokes number 38 cigars,sips vodka and shine,eats fried food and all he takes is fluid pills and sips his blood thinner.He must be doing something right.

Thinking that because I disagree with you means I'm offended is a poor diagnosis, Doc.

I don't think paying MD's to be dietary parole officers for folks that aren't motivated to take responsibility for their own lifestyles makes for a good system. If healthcare becomes a true free market where your lifestyle doesn't affect my options and costs, then I hope your brother gets a bronze statue at the Institute of Lifestyle Medicine paid for by Pfizer Food Products.

That last part was a joke....though I'm apparently not allowed to have a sense of humor.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    BUT, glenn, the drain on the system is the sick people and if 75% of their illnesses are self-inflicted, the doctor needs to stop them from inflicting themselves.

AND, my brother is taking it a step further. He is not only going to deliver the info, but he's going to hold the patient accountable by recall visits, dietary counseling, etc. He is tired of giving the info and not following up. Lifestyle physicians will put a regimen in place with return visits to update how well they are doing. I think its a good idea...but I also think he should get paid.
    He should get paid. And he's going to be extremely frustrated and disheartened by how little people care about themselves. He can follow up all he wants. He's going to find out the 75% don't want to change. They want the pill, a low copay and the ability to keep eating like an asshole.

My asshole only throws up

We need more Doctors like you brother 2th and should get paid-----Well.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

In many cases the pills are a substitute for self control.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot_Commander View Post
    My buddy that we lease from is 98.he smokes number 38 cigars,sips vodka and shine,eats fried food and all he takes is fluid pills and sips his blood thinner.He must be doing something right.
    All these yuppies forget that people have ate "shitty food" and led "shitty lifestyles" for ages, yet still reached old age. If 100% of the populations doesn't live to be 90, then certainly there is something wrong with our lifestyles acccording to the yuppies.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    Do I think a conference about eating healthy is a bad thing? No. Do I think billing codes for an apple a day prescriptions are moving in the right direction? No.

Who should I be apologizing to since I'm part of the problem?
    Do you think Psychologists should be billable?

They just need to hurry up and make HGH legal and affordable.

The old guys who eat shit, drink every day, and smoke are likely outliers. Just because your 98-year-old great-granddad does those things doesn't mean he "must be doing something right."

I think Glenn, 2th, and Stripa all have some good points. The bigger issue, and it seems to be the a main issue 2th's brother is trying to attack, is education.

Doctors get very little real nutritional schooling in med school. And because of many different factors, the time a physician can spend with a patient has continued to shrink over the years, all while those physicians are expected to see more patients on a daily basis. Therefore, doctors have very little time to educate themselves in a sufficient manner across a broad spectrum of topics. It seems a lot of them have to be educated by the pharmaceutical reps. Those reps are educating doctors on how the pills they're pushing help patients "manage" certain conditions. Since there are a lot of doctors who are still pushing bad diets because that's what they learned years ago, their first move is to prescribe something because the "diet" isn't working.

Then there are the instances when the patients just don't give a damn. Part of that is because they haven't taken the time to educate themselves on a proper diet and how it affects so much more than just your weight. Part of it is because many of them have been educated by all of the wonderful ads that tell them how all of their problems can be fixed with medication. (The U.S. and New Zealand are the only two countries in the world that allow pharmaceutical companies to advertise their products.)

I hope more doctors take the path of 2th's brother and educate themselves while also relying less on pharmaceutical companies. More medical professionals focusing on the causes and prevention of medical conditions related to diet, of which there are MANY, will likely result in a huge reduction in medical costs that have become such a strain on our healthcare system. Attacking it on the front end is a much better solution that trying to manage it on the back end.

I agree with what you said Tigerbdog. I asked the doc I go to if he had ever heard of Paleo. He looked at me like I was crazy and said "a what".
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

That's a damned good point, Tater. I'm not sure I know enough to give a good answer but it's worth exploring. I think psychotherapy is probably valuable part of treating certain conditions. It also doesn't require as much medical training as an MD....so billing would be more in line with the value of the service. I think physical therapy is a valuable component for medical treatment but it doesn't bring neurosurgeon rates for obvious reasons. I don't think Psychologists should be able to bill a 3rd party payer for diet monitoring.

I have studied the science of diet a lot. Medical studies and diet studies for the most part are correlative in nature. The causal mechanisms in such a multivariate environment aren't well understood and doctors aren't really in the business of pushing scientific understanding to new levels. There are general and broadly accepted guidelines to a healthy lifestyle that are free and readily available to anyone that gives a shit. If giving a shit is the problem, then maybe a psychologist is a better and more effective solution than a diet "lifestyle" doctor?

Rubberhead

I'm an internet life coach.

I wish some of y'all would respond to my private message billing address requests