Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR platform bear/hog rifle

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Yes it would! He knows he could get a great deal on it too or borrow it for as long as he wants.
    I think an AR10 would be better on the bear thingy but an AR15 will kill hogs all day and night with the right ammo
    You’re right. I skimmed right over the bear part.

If you want the best large frame AR you can buy , get a GA Precision or JP. NONE of the rest are even close in quality or accuracy. The fanboys love Larues, but they are not the rifle they were. Now they're just another mass produced AR, better than most but not is the same class as the two listed above.

After those two your better off picking the components you want and building it yourself. Get a good barrel, a good trigger, and a good BCG. The rest really doesn't matter that much. The Aero M5 build kits are very consistent and the handguard attachment system is much more solid than any of the clamp on styles.

Damn... JAB must have some money. The man asked for AR advice and right off the bat y'all start naming the most expensive shit you can buy.

Lots to look at here. I don't care about brand recognition or any of that. I just want something that I can count on when a bear is trying to eat my dog at 2am... Would prefer light over heavy if that is realistic.

I was going to say something, like and I'm going to buy a Benelli camo gun.. and add high vis plastic sight things
    Last edited by Highstrung; 07-09-2018 at 06:43 AM.

Do you really expect to shoot out to 600m?

I am going to have to kill a few bears shortly because one of our residents decided it would be cool to feed the momma and 3 cubs I told y'all about last year. When I found out about it, I put a stop to it, but the damage is done. They now associate houses with food and won't leave. I hope I don't have to whack her new cubs as well. People are damned fools...

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Do you really expect to shoot out to 600m?
    Probably not. That is as far as I ever killed anything, and I doubt I am even capable of it anymore.

You're gonna get a million optinions on this and 95% of them are extremely uninformed or bias based on what they own. 223 is not a pig caliber. End of story. They will absolutely kill a pig DRT at times. There are also videos of guys killing them with air rifles. I have plenty of video and photos of pigs taking 6-7 rounds of 223 before the even slow down.
    As far as large platform ARs go it is very much a market were "you get what you pay for" holds true. FLS is spot on with JP and GAP being the best but do you really need to spend that much to shoot a pig not to mention they are heavy and bulky weapons. If you're hunting at night get someone short and reliable. Personally I'd buy a POF or a SCAR. Both are capable or minute of pig accuracy at 600 and both will chew up and spit out whatever junk ammo you feed them.
    For night vision an IR laser and whatever NOD you can afford is all you need. Thermals are nice for spotting from a distance if you're hunting big open fields they save you miles of walking.

No one on this board builds their own ARs. They buy parts and put stuff together much like a kid does with legos. Myself included
    Last edited by Griffin; 07-09-2018 at 07:22 AM.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

If you are considering a suppressor for this gun, you need to get that train rolling because it takes a long time to get the approval back from BATF. Also, if you are considering a suppressor, it might have some influence on what barrel you want. A 20" barrel with a 7" can is unwieldy. Shorter barrels aren't widely available, especially from the premium barrel makers. I ran into that when I assembled my Legos AR10 and wanted a 16" barrel.

Another idea - get a PSA AR10 on sale for $500 or so and swap out the barrel with a Wilson Combat barrel ($300). Lots of optics mentioned above. After swapping to the Wilson Combat barrel, mine will put Sierra Game Kings in the same hole at 200 yards if I do my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunning Bird View Post
    Another idea - get a PSA AR10 on sale for $500 or so and swap out the barrel with a Wilson Combat barrel ($300). Lots of optics mentioned above. After swapping to the Wilson Combat barrel, mine will put Sierra Game Kings in the same hole at 200 yards if I do my part.
    I'd sooner turn a waffle maker on high, let it heat up for 30 minutes and then slam dick in it repeatedly than own a PA10

But hey I'm glad yours is the most accurate ar10 ever built. Maybe I'm just unlucky
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Depending on what DNR tells me, I will see if a suppressor is warranted. Lots more to read through here. Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Depending on what DNR tells me, I will see if a suppressor is warranted. Lots more to read through here. Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming...
    Shorter the better and suppressor are both must haves for shooting pigs at night

This is more for bears. Have shot hundreds of hogs at night so I have plenty of experience there. Never shot a bear.

Come get this one and a box of my Barnes Vortex TAC-TX. 300Blk 8 1/2 inches and lightweight.
    The only other thing you will need is a backhoe and two Messicans
    300 Blkout.jpg
    Last edited by ecu1984; 07-09-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I'd sooner turn a waffle maker on high, let it heat up for 30 minutes and then slam dick in it repeatedly than own a PA10

But hey I'm glad yours is the most accurate ar10 ever built. Maybe I'm just unlucky

The factory barrel sucked badly - hence the Wilson Combat replacement barrel. When it comes to factory rifle barrels and their lack of accuracy, I bet my luck is on par with yours

Instead of going with an AR10, which is a heavy rifle, you might consider an AR15 and modify it to shoot a more powerful cartridge than a 5.56. Not sure I'd recommend a 300 Blackout for bear but it's plenty for pigs and deer. Other choices are 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC. If you don't need long range, you could even go with 458 SOCOM or 50 Beowulf. I have an AR10 in .308 and even with a carbon wrapped barrel and carbon fiber handguard, it rarely leaves the safe because it's just so damn heavy. Chambered in an adequate cartridge, an AR15 is much lighter and makes a damn nice and comfortable gun for medium sized game.