Thread: Need info on crossbows

Default Need info on crossbows

I have a Matthews Switchback XT I have used for I guess 10-15 yrs and have to admit I have laughed at ANYONE that uses a crossbow and calls it archery (laughed at ANYONE that used a CPAP machine for years UNTIL I started using one so I can change my thoughts LOL &#128514

I really enjoy bow hunting and still do not think of a crossbow as archery equipment HOWEVER I am getting older and do not get to practice much at all like I used to plus I have been having some elbow issues as well and last few times I have tried to draw my bow back it is very painful

Guy I lease land with is in same boat as I am, he has been having shoulder issues lately as well. We were talking today and after a few beers (he is helping me rebuild my deck ) I admitted I was "intrigued" by crossbows . He laughed and told me he had actually been looking at them some

I have seen the Ravin on TV ads as well as Excalibur but not sure of pros and cons to any of them

Can anyone here fill me in on different types, brands, etc

Go to Jeffery’s and shoot the Raven. Badass is an understatement. It is a rifle that shoots carbon bolts essentially. Better take your checkbook bc I think she’s about 2k

Default Need info on crossbows

I’ve been happy with my Excalibur. It’s louder and slower than than most but it does the job.

Plus it’s a recurve, if might get you maybe, just maybe, a little street cred with the bow boys. It definitely ain’t archery though.
    Last edited by britton40; 07-06-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Ravens sound like a bomb going off. Yes it’s fast and shoots a mile but the mission sub-1 is quiet (as a crossbow can be). It also has a decocking mechanism that allows you to decock with out firing. Neither are cheap but both will hold sub 1 MOA at 100 yards. Jeffery’s has both talk to Ryan and tell him Zack sent you. He will help you out.

The other thing I don’t like about the raven is the crank handle you drop or lose that thing and you are screwed. Btw they are like $80 new if you lose it. The sub 1 is just string with handles on it like most of them use.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 07-06-2018 at 09:00 PM.

Parker...nothing better for the $
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Ever thought about switching hands?

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    Ever thought about switching hands?

Not really, to be honest I can not see where that would make a difference. Still have the issue with my left elbow not my right.

Too damn old to learn how to shoot that way and I am right eye dominant as well

I don’t know what your budget is but the raven and sub 1 are the top of the line. They have the newest technology. I thought about it and realized by the time you buy a flagship bow, rest, sight, arrows, and release aid. You have easily made it to what they cost and it’s ready to go right out of the box.

.25-06

I concur

Unless you are doing it to take advantage of a special bow season, why not just use a gun? If you want something with restricted range to make it more challenging, get a pistol or subsonic rifle.

Every deer you shoot with a crossbow will get an asterisk like you hit a home run while using performance enhancing drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Unless you are doing it to take advantage of a special bow season, why not just use a gun? If you want something with restricted range to make it more challenging, get a pistol or subsonic rifle.

Every deer you shoot with a crossbow will get an asterisk like you hit a home run while using performance enhancing drugs.

Main reason I want one is for the early archery season, after that will use rifle/pistol

Serious question, have you considered trying to shoot say 45 or 50 pounds? It might be much easier on your elbow and a lower draw weight will still blow through a deer with the right arrow and broadhead.

Look at the Tenpoint Nitro with the cocking crank option.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Main reason I want one is for the early archery season, after that will use rifle/pistol
    early archery or primitive weapons? If the second get a smokepole and dress like Jeremiah Johnson

I have a Parker. No its not the top of the line but it gets the job. I never had a deer tell me that it only wants to be shot with the top of the line equipment. I shoot it out to 50 yards dead on.

I set my wife up shooting a $400-$500 Parker. I shoot it in the yard with her fairly regularly making sure it’s sighted in, helping her know where to hold at certain distances, etc. For what they cost, they can’t be beat. At 30 yards you simply can’t shoot the same spot on the target or you will bust arrows. It probably won’t do it at 100 yards but you don’t need it to. More money will get you a little lighter/little faster/little smaller/etc. But, in my opinion, unless you’re planning to hunt with it as your primary weapon all season long, it isn’t worth $800-$1500 more for a top of the line crossbow to hunt with for 2 weeks. It’s similar to the guys I know who buy a Mathews Triax to hunt a 2 week bow season and then pick up the rifle.

I shoot a 300 dollar barnett. Kills them dead just like a raven does. No way i would spend 2k on a crossbow that will be worth 500 bucks in a few years. Dont overthink it. Even a base model crossbow shoots faster than what the natives made from a stick and string and they managed with it.

We don't have a special archery season and I still use a real bow anyway but crossbows have still intrigued me.

I think the ones with the reversed compound bow are the smartest design. They have eliminated the extra overall length induced by brace height and added to the length of the power stroke. Instead of having 6-8 inches of length that doesn't add to the power, they turned it around and used the brace height to keep pushing the bolt. You can get faster speeds with less draw weight and length. They don't look like the sexy crossbows in the movies though and haven't been best sellers even though it was a brilliant design upgrade.