Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NAP spitfire doublecross broadheads

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Check out Bi-Polar broadheads. Best of both worlds and they absolutely wreck a whitetail.
    I've never understood the "best of both worlds." My concern with mechanical heads is penetration. If penetration (those wide blades stopping the arrow) is a problem, having a fixed blade cutting at the same time isn't going to help it....especially when the fixed blades are 1/2 the diameter of the expanding blades.

pick any broadhead on the market and you can find good reviews somewhere. I dont put a lot of credence in online reviews.

I use a three blade muzzy and always have. I havent bought a new pack in years. I sharpen them often and throw them away when they cant keep an edge. They have not failed me so I am not looking to switch.

to the OP....listen to the guys who bow hunt on here and pay attention. a heavy arrow with a sharp, fixed blade will kill deer as dead as you need them to be.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I have been using micro diameter shafts at about 430 grains for 5 years now. I will never shoot anything else or anything heavier. I think it gives shooters with shorter draw lengths a happy medium. As far as broad heads I used the Typans last year. I typically change broad heads every year just because I like to try new stuff. This year I am using the fixed mechanical that rage came out with.

If I had a favorite machanical it would by far be Schwacker for me. It is one of the few broad heads I used multiple years.

In the fixed blade market it would be a less common brand. I prefer tooth of the arrow fixed blades. They are like a slick trick but more durable. They are a solid Cnc machines head.

I also have a few on my list that I will never shot again. They include toxic, ramcars, and anything G5. The toxics are lethal as hell and will leave massive blood trails but they are an absolute pain to tune.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 07-24-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Not need to confuse yourself with all the bullshit, overpriced broad heads out there. Pick you up some muzzy 100 grain 3 blade and thank me later. They'll plow through double shoulder and your deer will be laying within 75 yards. They are the best out there....hands down.

I've shot slick trick magnums for the last few years and had good luck with them, however I haven't been impressed with the edge retention on the newer ones.

This year I'll be shooting 125 grain Magnus Black Hornets with a total arrow weight of 510 grains. I also have quite a few QAD Exodus that I may try and shoot a couple deer with. I see no reason to shoot a mechanical head when all of my fixed blades fly like field points out to 80 yards.

I've shot muzzys in the past,

putting a new sight on the bow this year and decided to try switching broadheads as well.
    I picked up some Montec g5's this past weekend to try out
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I was just in your neighborhood last week and ended up buying a new Mathews Z3. I haven’t bow hunted in about 8 years but my nephew wanted to give it a try so we both got new bows. I’m with toofer, 3 blade Muzzy. I’ve seen mechanicals fail and I’m sure the technology is better these days but I prefer the old reliables. I did hear several people singing the praises of the G5 broadheads. And when did bows get so damned expensive?
    Last edited by DuvnDux; 07-24-2018 at 09:56 PM.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Quote Originally Posted by DuvnDux View Post
    I was just in your neighborhood last week and ended up buying a new Mathews Z3. I haven’t bow hunted in about 8 years but my nephew wanted to give it a try so we both got new bows. I’m with toofer, 3 blade Muzzy. I’ve seen mechanicals fail and I’m sure the technology is better these days but I prefer the old reliables. I did hear several people singing the praises of the G5 broadheads. And when did bows get so damned expensive?
    You think hunting bows are expensive (they Are) you should look at the price of target bows. I want one and start shooting 3d and indoor but $2k for a bow then $700 for a sight. That’s crazy

I’ve had my PSE for 21 years and it still shoots fine but I got the fever and got my feelings hurt. They sold me on the lifetime warranty with the Mathews. They sold a couple of Triax bows while I was getting ours set up. I couldn’t justify that much.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Late to the conversation but where exactly did quality take a nose dive with slick tricks? I've been using mags for 5 or 6 years now, a little longer with standards mixed in with another brand and have yet to have had any issue with any of them. Bought more the last two seasons even.
    I believe it was around 2008 or 2009 that Slicktrick decided to outsource their blades. The quality was horrible. Super weak blades and dull as shit. It didn't take them long to figure out they screwed up and they went back to making them in house. The only problem then became not knowing which blades a pack had in them. They original 100 grain Slicktricks used to be my all time favorite but I had to let them go after buying so many bad batches. I'm sure they've been fine the last several years but I can't make myself go back.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

i aint "trying stuff" when it comes to killing a 200lb mammal.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    I believe it was around 2008 or 2009 that Slicktrick decided to outsource their blades. The quality was horrible. Super weak blades and dull as shit. It didn't take them long to figure out they screwed up and they went back to making them in house. The only problem then became not knowing which blades a pack had in them. They original 100 grain Slicktricks used to be my all time favorite but I had to let them go after buying so many bad batches. I'm sure they've been fine the last several years but I can't make myself go back.

I must have missed that batch. Everyone I've touched have had excellent blades.

I used 3 blade muzzys exclusively through the 90s. No doubt a solid and affordable broad head. The kink on the blade makes them a little harder to sharpen. IMO the slick trick ferrule is bit stronger but if damage occurs with either it's usually from hitting rock in the ground after a pass thru. The 4th blade on the slick tricks means another cut too. I guess the biggest reason I like them is they re-sharpen extremely well.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I never resharpen my blades. Once they get dull or dented, they go to the right side of my quiver where I keep my coon, possum, armadillo, fox, coyote, and squirrel arrows.

I used to do that. In the early 90s I missed a chip shot on a buck at 20 yards but was able to call him back to about 37 yards. Somehow I managed to retrieve a second arrow from the detachable quiver I had hanging below the stand seat. I shot that arrow true and the buck mule kicked and plowed up a ridge. In the heat of the moment I'd picked out the "squirrell", practice, dull broad headed arrow from the bunch. Not a drop of blood to be found when I got down so I cast around the way he left. Found him just over the ridge. Got about 9-10" penetration with heavy old aluminum arrows. These days I fill a quiver to capacity with identical, or at least all sharp, and true flying arrows. I also like to reuse the same arrow as much as possible as well as blades as long as they don't get divots. Not because I am a cheap skate and don't want to buy BHs, just a little superstitious and an arrow that proved to kill clean just means more to me.

And that buck was 175lbs. Heaviest I'd ever killed at the time.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 07-25-2018 at 07:51 AM.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

If there was a "best" there would only be one...

Sharpe BH, Heavy Arrow, and make sure it flies out of your rig well. Go kill stuff. I have the same BHs I did 10 years ago. Sharpen or replace as needed. Don't over think it.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I did quite a bit of fixed blade testing back in 2009 and 2010. I found Slick Tricks did the best.

I'm convinced you were on the pro staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I did quite a bit of fixed blade testing back in 2009 and 2010. I found Slick Tricks did the best.

I just want to know how in the world you kept the hogs from knocking your feeder over! I have that same model and never could keep it up once the hogs found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    I used to do that. In the early 90s I missed a chip shot on a buck at 20 yards but was able to call him back to about 37 yards. Somehow I managed to retrieve a second arrow from the detachable quiver I had hanging below the stand seat. I shot that arrow true and the buck mule kicked and plowed up a ridge. In the heat of the moment I'd picked out the "squirrell", practice, dull broad headed arrow from the bunch. Not a drop of blood to be found when I got down so I cast around the way he left. Found him just over the ridge. Got about 9-10" penetration with heavy old aluminum arrows. These days I fill a quiver to capacity with identical, or at least all sharp, and true flying arrows. I also like to reuse the same arrow as much as possible as well as blades as long as they don't get divots. Not because I am a cheap skate and don't want to buy BHs, just a little superstitious and an arrow that proved to kill clean just means more to me.

And that buck was 175lbs. Heaviest I'd ever killed at the time.
    Agreed! If I'm going to squirrel hunt, I'll bring the .22. Nothing but sharp tricks in my quiver. I'm superstitious like that too. I had one arrow/head (new blades) combination a few years ago that I'd killed 14 deer with. #15 got spined and rolled over on the arrow breaking it in the middle. I retired the head too after that.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    I just want to know how in the world you kept the hogs from knocking your feeder over! I have that same model and never could keep it up once the hogs found it.

use one less section per leg