Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zero Turn

Quote Originally Posted by SWAMPLIFE z71 View Post
    Scag, Toro, Exmark, Gravely, the way your talking a $3500 mower isn’t gonna make you happy.
    A good dealer is the most important thing
    That last part is the issue. JD and Husqvarna are the two closest to me. You’d think with all the landscaping shit and golf courses around there’d be some other dealers around. There’s supposedly a Hustler dealer here in town I’m going to swing by tomorrow and see what they have.

May have to up the budget a little I guess. Landscaping and lawn maintenance ain’t my thing.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Don't take shortcuts when buying guns, knives, paper plates, trash bags, and lawnmowers.

Has anyone here done a cost analysis on owning lawnmower and cutting grass vs paying someone to cut grass. $5000 mower + $10/week in gas+ maintenance ($200/yr) + my time that I could have spent fishing($20/hr). I figure it cost me $2400/yr to mow my own grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Don't take shortcuts when buying guns, knives, paper plates, trash bags, and lawnmowers.
    Some truth right here.

Look on Savannah Craigslist there is a Toro for 3500.

Quote Originally Posted by birdweiser View Post
    Has anyone here done a cost analysis on owning lawnmower and cutting grass vs paying someone to cut grass. $5000 mower + $10/week in gas+ maintenance ($200/yr) + my time that I could have spent fishing($20/hr). I figure it cost me $2400/yr to mow my own grass.
    You missed the part where it says 'wife cuts grass'.

Only takes me about 3 minutes a week to put gas in the mower.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Been considering that route as well.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

have you considered getting woodiesc's "guy" to find you a deal?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    have you considered getting woodiesc's "guy" to find you a deal?
    He got a guy for lawnmowers? I thought he was a bugle dealer.

it kinda makes me feel sleazy to delve any deeper into his relationship with "his guy" but I can feel the passion when woodie types about him.

saving $25 on car insurance is a really big deal to him.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I have a Toro zero turn I bought in 07 that I use to cut 3 acres. Kohler 25 HP engine. Still runs & cuts great. Secret to life of mower, chg oil & blades. Don't cut so low & pick up all the shit out the yard before cutting. Sand is a bitch on a mower along with hitting roots etc.

Hell, I figured for $3500 I could get a decent lawnmower, had no idea I would have to fork out much more just to cut grass. Growing up I cut an acre of zoysia (front yard) and centipede (rear) with a $50.00 push mower. It died, dad got another one. My oldest is a good size 10yo, maybe I’ll just go the route.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    I have a Toro zero turn I bought in 07 that I use to cut 3 acres. Kohler 25 HP engine. Still runs & cuts great. Secret to life of mower, chg oil & blades. Don't cut so low & pick up all the shit out the yard before cutting. Sand is a bitch on a mower along with hitting roots etc.
    We got sand and roots.

I have. You come out ahead by a large amount by doing it yourself. Especially if your only option is using a legit landscaping company. The question comes down to how you value your time.
    Last edited by Remy; 06-27-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Get a Cub Cadet. Had one for 12 years and held up great!! Fits your budget also.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Aside from the obvious pros of buying a full blown commercial unit, if in 5 years you decide its time to hire a lawn service you’ll be able to get half+ of your money back out of it. They do hold their value reasonably well. JD makes a great commercial grade product (they do not sell this at Lowe’s). If that was my closest dealer I’d go take a few for a spin in the back lot and decide from there. Your dealer likely has a price for an annual service for guys that put 100 or so hours on a mower per year - that includes an oil change, blade sharpening, battery test, hydro service, etc. Drop it off with them every fall for that. The cost of these things sucks, but they are an investment. If maintained and operated correctly 20 years shouldn’t be an unreasonable life span just cutting your yard. There are a lot of good brands out right now - JD, exmark, Scag, toro, Ferris, and hustler being the most popular. Closest dealer that you trust for annual service should help narrow it down.

Salty got a 100k boat , king ranch f250, Gulfstream fishing every weekend. And looking for a 3500 mower. Bitch please, go buy a mower that cost more than 2 of your fishing poles.

Also, unless you have to get through a gate get a 5’ deck. Having the deck stick out further from the drive tires makes for less weed eating along tree lines, fences, ac units, etc. the 4’ decks don’t stick out much past the drive tires. Makes getting up close to things a little bit harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Hell, I figured for $3500 I could get a decent lawnmower, had no idea I would have to fork out much more just to cut grass. Growing up I cut an acre of zoysia (front yard) and centipede (rear) with a $50.00 push mower. It died, dad got another one. My oldest is a good size 10yo, maybe I’ll just go the route.
    I’m with you.

I want a riding lawnmower bad.....it takes me forever to push mow. I am not spending that much money for one, no fucking way. Do you have to have a zero turn? What about a lawn tractor?

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    I’m with you.

I want a riding lawnmower bad.....it takes me forever to push mow. I am not spending that much money for one, no fucking way. Do you have to have a zero turn? What about a lawn tractor?
    If all you got to do on a Saturday is cut grass , get a lawn tractor. If you got other shit to do on a Saturday get a zero turn. Night and day on productivity.