Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok, we have dove field planted. Now what

One of the more mature and experienced guys in my dove club thinks the deer feeders have spread the doves out. If a dove gets pressured in a big open field, he probably knows of half a dozen reliable corn piles within a mile.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Thanks, in a round about way that what I was asking.

This is just going to be a fun shoot and nothing more but main thing want to make sure is we are legal

Have had folks tell me all kinds of things you can and can not do
    http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/dove/...vesLegally.pdf

What is the smallest field you would try to put a dove field in??? Mainly for maybe 2-3 adults and a couple of kids sitting next to their old man. I’ve got a small field on my place - maybe 5 acres. Too small to mess with? I half ass planted millet a few years back - it pulled a few birds in but nothing to blow your hair back. Just wondering if it was my half assedness or the field is too small???

We always plant a second field just for my brother, father, nephews, and myself. It is right at 5 acres. We plant 3 acres sunflowers and 2 acres millet. This is just an extra field to go along with our bigger 13 acre field since we usually still have seeds left over. We have some great midweek shoots. We plant millet flowers millet flowers millet. Works really good for a small hunt. So smaller fields will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    One of the more mature and experienced guys in my dove club thinks the deer feeders have spread the doves out. If a dove gets pressured in a big open field, he probably knows of half a dozen reliable corn piles within a mile.
    They do love to go to feeders and corn piles. What really kills us is all the farmers around us picking and cutting corn. After about mid september the birds get scattered across the hundred acres around us.

I still have my corn feeder running and the doves are pouring into it every day. It sits right at the edge of my dove field. I will probably let it run until I start cutting millet about 2 weeks before the season.

The feeder sits 316 yards from my back porch. Everyday I see doves, fox squirrels, crows, deer, all kinds of wildlife visit it. I can watch them from my den with a spotting scope. My fun lately has been shooting at crows with 17 HMR at 316 yards. I am getting dialed in on them.
    E T

Quote Originally Posted by E. Taylor View Post
    I still have my corn feeder running and the doves are pouring into it every day. It sits right at the edge of my dove field. I will probably let it run until I start cutting millet about 2 weeks before the season.
    Good idea, there is a tripod feeder out there that has not been used and probably just needs a battery .

I was amazed at the doves swarming over corn piles last deer season, reason we did not shoot it late season was we figured it was baited due to all the corn I had put out

Thanks for the link, actually one of the Arthur's of this is a client of mine, just noticed that

I will shoot him an email

Still little confused on what you can and can not do with millet, hear a bunch of variations

I guess my question is do you have a certain time limit PRIOR to opening day to bush hog and plow fields
    Last edited by tprice; 07-27-2018 at 10:06 AM.

No you can manipulate it how you want all through dove season. You just cannot add more.

From what I see in the pictures, if you want those boys to get a shot at some doves you better go to a public field.

Quote Originally Posted by smallwater View Post
    I'm going to say something that goes against everything you ever hear or read. In the last ten years, I see more doves in thick stuff like a quail. I've prepared fields with clean dirt, plenty of seed, burned, etc. , and most of the birds are still in the unmowed areas, especially if there are tall seed bearing plants with some room to walk around underneath. Once again, like a quail. And I'm on multiple tracts of land per week.

I can only assume that the explosion in raptor populations has caused this change in behavior. I'm not suggesting you manage your field based on just what I've seen, but it's been a consistent observation of mine for some years.
    Yep. We used to silage chop and blow it onto fresh plowed dirt, now 90% of the time we leave enough rows standing where they can feed in it. Clean is not what it used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    From what I see in the pictures, if you want those boys to get a shot at some doves you better go to a public field.
    Explain why

Ton of doves out there now and always is

Thanks for all the help, ours turned out pretty decent for a first time.

Did not have as many people as expected and really needed a few more but I was afraid to have too many folks there.

Already have some ideas for next year on how to make it better.

We may shoot tomorrow late pm or even Monday but then time to get ready for deer season