Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Damaged Phone

Default Water Damaged Phone

So I had to take an unexpected dip in the neighbors pool last Friday to pull a kid who couldn’t swim. My well used iPhone 6 with all my pics, data, email, numbers, etc. took the dip with me. The phone shut down shortly thereafter and hasn’t turned on since. I’ve since replaced the phone and recovered most of my data from my iCloud. Are there any options for the water damaged phone or is it trash can material? And if so I’m hesitant to just dispose of it due to potential access to my personal information still contained in the phone. What say the tech gurus at SC ducks?
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

Hillary used hammers

take the sim card out
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Did you turn it off right after you got out or did it turn itself off?

I fell in the lake with my 4 week old iphone 6 in my pocket back in early 2015 I think. Got out of the water and turned the phone off. Let it set in a ziplock bag of dry rice for a few days and used that mother up until last month without issue.
    Last edited by joshua2; 06-21-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

What Joshua said...dropped mine in Moultrie a few years ago. Fished it out and put it in a bag of rice for a few days. Came back to life and used it for 2 years and then sold it to a guy that is still using it.

But, to answer...give it a few more days and stick in some rice to pull out any moisture still in it. Then see if it will charge and come back.

It turned off on its own.. Tried the rice trick but only for 24hrs. Guess I’ll try that for longer, otherwise I’ll take the Hillary approach.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

Yea youre screwed imo. Ive never got the rice trick to work myself..

You know there are cell phone stores call CPR (Cell Phone Repair) or something similar around.
    They have dehydrating ovens where they will dry out your phone. The rice trick does not really do much.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    You know there are cell phone stores call CPR (Cell Phone Repair) or something similar around.
    They have dehydrating ovens where they will dry out your phone. The rice trick does not really do much.

This.. if you have a dehydrater, it may do the trick.

I’ve brought several back to life with the rice trick. Key is leaving it in the sun while in the bag of rice to heat it up.

I put mine on my dash in a bag of rice.

Seemed to help expedite the process.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

Probably too late now but I’ve had a couple go in the drink and I always immediately turn them off and then put them on the dash of my truck with the heat/defrost going full bore. Has dried them out pretty well and I was able to keep using tjem

Put that Joker on the dash of your car and leave it there
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I have had a waterproof phone and case problem solved
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

Got that covered, iPhone 8 and lifeproof.. I’ll get creative with the suggestions.

Just bring me the old one.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Have you tried drying it out in the microwave?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Had an iPhone get water damage with a lifeproof on. Watched the water line move under the screen. I put it in a bag of rice with it plugged in and the screen brightness turned on high for several days. Happened a month after I got it and used the phone for almost 2 years after that. Rice does work, fwiw

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_11 View Post
    This.. if you have a dehydrater, it may do the trick.
    This saved an iphone for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Have you tried drying it out in the microwave?
    This was a joke right?

I've had more Iphones that I care to remember take a bath. My last iphone 5 went in the ocean, the pond, the toilet and a mud puddle by the house...that was all one phone and each time I was able to bring it back. The time it went in the pond I had to replace the "complete" screen but that's like a $15 part on Amazon.