Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast Iron Skillet

Default Cast Iron Skillet

Been working on seasoning a big one I got for Christmas made by Lodge. Seems to be taking longer than I remember on my last one. Has cast iron changed over the years in regards to its makeup? I got an older one from my mom a few years ago that was in terrible shape but that thing is seasoned perfectly now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sand that joker down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Sand it down and start over. YouTube videos out there show how to do it and flip eggs in the pan
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 06-20-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

You need to grind down and smooth it out then season it. Lodge makes a great product but they use a very course grain of sand in their casting process. Take a grinding wheel to that sucker until you can shave in it then proceed with your seasoning process.

Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

This one is legit

I’ve spoken with lodge about grinding them down. There are good and bad to both. Everyone wants that slick pan but that little bit of texture actually helps keep the pan seasond. You know...in case your wife does something stupid with dawn soap. I have a couple of each and really don’t find my self reaching for one over the other. I can flip an egg in my textured pans as well.

Tinkerers.

Y’all YouTubed a yankee in a video to figure out how to season cast iron? He had a Yale shirt on, a drop cloth in his yard, fingerless gloves and his wife makes him wear a mask.

My grandma never had a grinder to grind her pans, what the fuck are y’all doing?

The older skillets were made with a finer grain of sand and came out smooth. Some of these new lodge pans look like you have a pot full of 57 stone.

Sorry you all disappointed and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    The older skillets were made with a finer grain of sand and came out smooth. Some of these new lodge pans look like you have a pot full of 57 stone.

#4 stone is more like it.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

It cooks decent. Beggars can’t be choosers.

Oh they cook great and your grandkids will be using it.

Your issue isn’t a lack of skill as was alluded to by grumpapotomus. It’s a texture issue.

Crisco and throw it in a fire. Sanding, what the fuk has this world come to?
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Right angle Die Grinder and some 120 grit disk got mine smooth enough to cook on, but still rough enough to hold seasoning. Took about 30 minutes.

I was kidding about sanding it. I just use the hell out of mine and it's created a nice slick cooking surface.

I do prefer using my grandmother's old one. Can fry an egg on it and leave no trace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Crisco and throw it in a fire. Sanding, what the fuk has this world come to?
    Right on.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    what the fuk has this world come to?
    Shoddy workmanship. Old cast iron had an almost finished surface made by craftsmanship. Not like todays products.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

find you a Griswold #8 and never look back.

They are about 1/3 the weight of a Lodge and are as slick as freshly shorn pubis.

found one for $35 at an antique shop in Travelers Rest a few years ago.

We cook almost every meal in it. I stays on the stove and I have a 4" piece of chain-mail to clean it.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud