Thread: Remember the duck hunting incident in Dare Co.

Default Remember the duck hunting incident in Dare Co.

This happened back in Dec. 17, guy threatened and assaulted 4 hunters on two separate occasions.

A Dare County man was sentenced last week to seven days in jail and fined more than $2,500 after pleading guilty to 10 misdemeanors relating to two incidents over a period of 11 days last December in which he confronted and threatened four hunters in a lake in the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge in Hyde County.

Jarrod Thomas Umphlett of Manns Harbor also had two 45-day jail sentences suspended, was given an 18-month probation, lost his hunting license for two years, was ordered to write a letter of apology to all four hunters and undergo a psychological evaluation. He had two felony assault charges dismissed as part of a plea agreement,

Umphlett pled guilty to eight misdemeanor charges — communicating threats, simple assault, injury to personal property, unlawful harassment of persons taking wildlife and operating a boat in a reckless manner — related to an incident on the afternoon of Dec. 16, 2017, when he was alleged to have rammed his boat into a boat in which Clark Purvis of Roanoke Rapids and Richard Edwards of Wilmington were riding, scouting for ducks, in Swan Creek Lake in Hyde County. According to the arrest report, Umphlett threatened Purvis and Edwards, boarded their boat, punched Edwards twice, tried to remove the outboard motor from the boat’s transom and throw it overboard and repeatedly yelled at them using racial epithets.

Purvis runs Roanoke River Waterfowl and is a cousin of Gov. Roy Cooper. Edwards is a member of the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission.

Those eight charges carried the 7-day jail term and fines, restitution and court costs totaling $2,030, plus a 45-day suspended sentence, suspension of Umphlett’s hunting license for two years and a prohibition against participating in any hunting-related activities for two years.

Wilson Marine
    He also pled guilty to four misdemeanor charges of communicating threats and unlawful harassment of persons taking wildlife relating to a Dec. 27, 2017, incident in which he was alleged to have threatened and harassed Larry Gammon of Plymouth and his teen-aged son, Wesley Cole Gammon, for hunting in the same lake where he confronted Purvis and Edwards. He was fined $500.

Umphlett’s father, Wayne Thomas Umphlett of Manns Harbor, pled guilty of one charge of unlawful harassment of persons taking wildlife, received a prayer for judgement continued and ordered to pay $180 in court costs. He was in the boat with his son when the Dec. 27 incident took place.

That seems like an awfully light sentencing.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    That seems like an awfully light sentencing.
    Yep, way too lenient.

Racial epithets? What'd he do, call em a redneck?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 06-14-2018 at 06:42 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I remember that. Think I recall someone saying he had $$$. Must have for that slap on the wrist.

I don't know how those hunters showed restraint with that jackass. I'm impressed that they didn't engage, it sounds like, and that was probably the best response. I can't imagine how I'd have reacted.

It would have been hard not to have shot that bastard if he boarded my boat under the circumstances and started punching my hunting partner.

I think his family owns a big marina in Manns Harbour.

Default Remember the duck hunting incident in Dare Co.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    It would have been hard not to have shot that bastard if he boarded my boat under the circumstances and started punching my hunting partner.
    At the very least he’d have gotten a boat paddle upside his head.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FEETDOWN; 06-14-2018 at 08:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I seen a HELL of a lot more go on in the swamp back bout 38/yrs ago. Just sayin, A Swamp in SC that is.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

He's damn lucky he made it off the lake alive that day; that sentence is a freaking joke.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    At the very least he’d have gotten a boat paddle upside his head.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ^^^trurth being told right there

A properly wielded sculling paddle has been known to “diffuse” a situation in more than a few instances.

Rocketman woulda took care of that issue quick!

That sentence will not be a deterrent. He will do it again.... And again. Either he will be more violent next time or his victims will. It will not end pretty.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

He will bow up at the wrong person one day and will tote an ass whippin or bullet.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

They probably deserved it

Apparently during sentencing the judge told him he was lucky he didn't get shot.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter