Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting..

Default Interesting..

"I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

In my opinion if the facts in the article are correct, they should be sued. We practiced at day break and dusk or night. If thee a days were nrssacary we used the gym. Full pads with heat like that is reckless.

the South Carolina Board of Education and others failed to protect student-athletes from dangerous conditions by practicing in the 95-degree heat.
    It's freak'n football...in SC. You want to protect your child, don't let him play football. You run the risk of something bad happening.

I know the attorney well. Very nice guy. Pretty crappy case. I wouldn’t pay a dime to settle that dog.
    Carolina Counsel

We practiced in the heat starting Aug 1...ammonia towels were heaven sent on those hot ass afternoons. You knew who to not be beside during sprints quickly b/c you knew they were puking while running. I don't care who you are, puking through a facemask while running makes it go everywhere.

Would they file a suit if he broke his neck during a tackle?

Quote Originally Posted by camotoon60 View Post
    Of course they would. https://www.si.com/vault/1988/07/25/...arc-buoniconti
    Carolina Counsel

It’s the American way

Why anyone would play football is beyond me.

To me that hard to prevent. I don’t feel the same way about that as I do heat. Death from heat strokes is preventable.

So here is the question if a kid dies from a heat stroke during practice, you don’t think he crossed a line? It was the kids fault? Would you feel the same way if it was your kid?

Depends on pre-existing conditions and what the coaching staff knew. You could die from just about damn near anything preventable.

Stop being a whiny millennial. Alot of people work in this heat. And get this, they do it all day not just at dusk or dawn.

There would have to be some sort of negligence for them to have a case. Nothing in that article came close to that. And a 95 degree heat index don't impress me.

Also, the way you try to treat heat injuries can be just as dangerous as the heat injuries themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Stop being a whiny millennial. Alot of people work in this heat. And get this, they do it all day not just at dusk or dawn.

There would have to be some sort of negligence for them to have a case. Nothing in that article came close to that. And a 95 degree heat index don't impress me.
    I’m one of those people. I work in it everyday. But I’m not running wind sprints and can get water whenever I feel like. Not the same for football practice. We got water when we were told to get water and stopped running when we were told.

So by what your saying there is not a line? It’s not possible that the coach went to far? There is not a to much? In this case. A kid DIED not just threw up.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 06-19-2018 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    In my opinion if the facts in the article are correct, they should be sued. We practiced at day break and dusk or night. If thee a days were nrssacary we used the gym. Full pads with heat like that is reckless.
    Where did you play?
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

"They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

That’s what we have to go by for our youth program. Ages 5-12
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post

I'm far from a whiny millenial, and what I CHOOSE to put my self through, and what a coach puts a minor through are totally different things. I didn't read the article, but the fact that things have been done a certain way in the past, when we had less knowledge about those things, doesn't mean we shouldn't be smarter about doing them now.

I can't stand how litigious society. However, if a high school coach is doing something that is seriously endangering minors (and I don't mean that little Billy thinks is hard), then the dad goes to the coach. If it continues, he goes to the coach's boss. After that, coach gets a visit from Rocketman.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Like I said. Show me some negligence. All I saw was it was a heat index of 95 according to weather channel when they had a hard two hour practice. And they filed a lawsuit 2 years later.

Banded,
    Yes there is a line. Like I said. Show me the coaches caused it with some sort of negligence. If he refused them water or ignored warning signs, or even a pre existing condition then I'm with you. But just because someone died doesn't mean someone has to be punished.

You keep asking what the coach should be responsible for. What should the kid and parents be responsible for? We can play what if's on both sides. What if the kid got drunk the night before and came to practice extremely dehydrated. What if the kid/parents hid his pre-existing condition? What if he was taking caffiene supplements prior to practice to give him extra energy?

Neither one of us knows more than what is in that article. And there ain't much in it.