Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Food Plots

This would have been toothpicks sticking out the ground if we wouldn’t have applied it. It’s all we use on the dove field as well.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Just go buy a dc electric fence charger, some t-post, wire and be done with it. Change the battery out every 2 weeks.

Nice looking plots
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

i still dont understand why you wanna keep deer out of a deer plot
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Is that what the peas look like with some leaves on them??

On our place in Bamberg, we plant peas and they get to 4" or so and when you go back to check them, nothing but stems and tracks. Great summer food source. We have done the 3 times replanting deal..

Clover is the best bang for the buck. They will browse it heavily, but clover can take heavy utilization- if it rains ...
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i still dont understand why you wanna keep deer out of a deer plot
    I only want to keep them out for about two weeks and then they can have Addit. From my understanding once I get a certain point they will continue to regenerate. If they get hammered early they won’t grow. Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason I keep them out is because I think the deer benefit more once it's established. How much nutrients are the really getting eating a 4" bean? I also agree with nitro. Clover is the way to go. Easy to establish, maintain, keep weeds/grass out, can withstand grazing, last several years and high in protein.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    Go buy some cheap radios and put them under a bucket,,,
    Battery powered??
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

If you are planting summer plots right now to hunt over come August you are an idiot......deer need forage for antler growth right now.....plow, plant, let em eat and repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    If you are planting summer plots right now to hunt over come August you are an idiot......deer need forage for antler growth right now.....plow, plant, let em eat and repeat as necessary.
    Not everyone has an unlimited budget. Our dear have grown antlers Just fine without summer Food plots.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    We planted and put some milorganite out.
    How long does the milorganite typically last?

Clover is your friend
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

milorganite will last a few days each application. rain weakens it.

clover is OK. I get that. It takes a good bit more maintenance and I think my deer enjoy peas and beans more.

Peas handle some grazing but they damn sure dont grow enough forage later to make it worth MY while to protect them at the 4-6 leaf stage. I understand you protecting them (to some extent) but is the juice worth the squeeze? You're talking about spending money to save money? i'd have the planter full of beans all summer long and be ready to replant on top of the foraged plot with clean dirt whenever the moisture was right.

but, hey, what do I know? I'm just an asshole who has made every mistake in the book and am giving you good advice. Keep reading if you want to hear something different. Sooner or later, someone will say what you wanted to hear.

It is fun to watch beans get mowed to the dirt every week .. the deer will hit them hard indeed.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

^like

[QUOTE=b35w;2489906]Not everyone has an unlimited budget. Our dear have grown antlers Just fine without summer Food plots.

I understand....I wasn’t saying you HAVE to do this to grow antlers. I was saying don’t waste your time if it is simply going to be a kill plot. Wait until closer to season or for a fall plot for that. Also I agree with what 2th said, you will spend twice as much trying to protect a $30 bag of peas.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    How long does the milorganite typically last?
    Several days without rain. You will have to apply it again.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    milorganite will last a few days each application. rain weakens it.

clover is OK. I get that. It takes a good bit more maintenance and I think my deer enjoy peas and beans more.

Peas handle some grazing but they damn sure dont grow enough forage later to make it worth MY while to protect them at the 4-6 leaf stage. I understand you protecting them (to some extent) but is the juice worth the squeeze? You're talking about spending money to save money? i'd have the planter full of beans all summer long and be ready to replant on top of the foraged plot with clean dirt whenever the moisture was right.

but, hey, what do I know? I'm just an asshole who has made every mistake in the book and am giving you good advice. Keep reading if you want to hear something different. Sooner or later, someone will say what you wanted to hear.
    Can I go back and plant over the top without having to disk again?

Like I said this is the first time we plan it this early With the exception of planting corn. We plan to clover last year after deer season had started and I did really well. I’m just tired of hunting over corn piles.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Like I said this is the first time we plan it this early With the exception of planting corn. We plan to clover last year after deer season had started and I did really well. I’m just tired of hunting over corn piles.

Quit explaining yourself. It’s your food plots, plant them and protect them how you want.
    More fuel = more boost!!