Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Food Plots

If none of y’all have never tried American joint-vetch and Alyce clover you should. That’s all I plant for summer browse. It can with stand the pressure and they absolutly tear it up.

great mix. my favorite. it aint cheap but its worth it in the long run.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

2th what’s the latest you have planted it. If we get some more rain, we are planting chufa by July 4. Thought about planting a couple more plots. Think it’s to late?

Any herbicides you can spray on vetch? Mine is getting over taken by weeds.

poast maybe? your vetch should be thick enough to shade out most everything. maybe plant 7.5lb/acre. its a challenging seed to plant and I have the best results spreading with a monkey spreader in really fluffy dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    2th what’s the latest you have planted it. If we get some more rain, we are planting chufa by July 4. Thought about planting a couple more plots. Think it’s to late?
    its too late, IMO. you will grow the alyce but not sure the vetch likes it this hot. certainly in a shady, small plot I wouldnt think twice about trying it....

I like my vetch planted in april/may.

Put milorgranite and human hair in pantyhose on pvc pipes around the field. Will slow them down for a little while. And its easy to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    poast maybe? your vetch should be thick enough to shade out most everything. maybe plant 7.5lb/acre. its a challenging seed to plant and I have the best results spreading with a monkey spreader in really fluffy dirt.
    I planted mid April. My first time trying it. I did 3 lbs vetch and 2 lbs aylce and 100 lbs of 0-20-20 in a new plot I made that was a little less than 1/2 acre . All I saw come up was mostly weeds. I'm positive it was something I did for it not to make.
    Last edited by duckchoppin; 06-13-2018 at 09:44 AM.

take a pic for me. the vetch will fool you. it comes out as a smooth, double leaf but will look more like a fern leaf at the 4-6 leaf stage. you may have more vetch than you think.

its pretty hard to screw it up if your seed bed is good.

i do NOT know the effects of the 0-20-20 bc I have never used it. maybe it came into contact with the seed too much? I aint know....

Will do. I'll be up there Saturday putting up a fence and I'll gake a couple.

I would not think 3lb is enough seed. The book I have said if broadcasted the rate is 20lb to the acre alone. If mixed with alyce clover you should half it at 10lbs each. It also calls for 300lbs of 0-20-20 but a lot of that depends on your soil. The 0-20-20 should not hurt the seed as there isn’t any nitrogen to hurt it. The nitrogen I have always understood is what can cause the plant to die.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 06-13-2018 at 10:53 AM.

How tall does the vetch get in your plots? I know it can get tall, but I assume the deer keep it pruned.

good time for an exclosure.

it can grow 4 feet high....easy. but, yes the deer tend to keep it lower. it'll stay below knee high for the growing season. and dies on the first frost.

that's why its good to put with alyce clover so they can climb on each other.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 06-13-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    How tall does the vetch get in your plots? I know it can get tall, but I assume the deer keep it pruned.
    I usually don’t worry to much about enclosures. However the first year I planted it I wanted a a gauge. I did put one out and in the cage the vetch and alyce clover where 3ft tall. The actual foodplot never got over 1/2 a foot. Then like a dummy I went three years without planting it and am now getting back into it. I may roll the dice and plant some now. The book says as late as july 1 in south east. Rain will be he biggest issue. If not I may try the late planting of soybeans or another plant that has early browse just before bow season, which I have never done.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 06-13-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by duckchoppin View Post
    I planted mid April. My first time trying it. I did 3 lbs vetch and 2 lbs aylce and 100 lbs of 0-20-20 in a new plot I made that was a little less than 1/2 acre . All I saw come up was mostly weeds. I'm positive it was something I did for it not to make.
    Entirely too early to be planting that mix.
    I have fields of Alyce that reseed every year and we prep them with herbicede and or fire but it WILL NOT germinate until the soil temp is well up into the 80's.
    I suspect that is why you only have weeds to show for your efforts.
    FYI, it's typically June before the clover germinates and right now it's approx. 1-'2" tall in my fields.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 06-13-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Also, I have experimented with Cadre and jointvetch and alyce are very tolerant.....just sayin
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Cali would you still be willing to plant the alyce clover and vetch in the next two weeks if we get some rain? Maybe just the Alyce? What’s your opinion, just trying to take a poll.

absolutely....

Good luck, I planted 6 acres of beans between 2 plots and they got smoked within a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Good luck, I planted 6 acres of beans between 2 plots and they got smoked within a week.
    Milorganite is your friend....