Thread: 12 volt cooler

Default 12 volt cooler

Been thinking about getting one for my work van.

Anyone have experience with a particular brand? I'm not looking to break the bank or go the cheapest way out.

Been looking at a couple that advertises cooling 35-40 degrees below ambient temp. Thought this would be sufficient.

I looked into these a few years ago. For the same reason as you. I determined a 45 quart cooler with frozen milk jugs worked just as well. Swap out the jugs at night. No melted ice to deal with in the cooler.

I been doing that with 2 liter bottles but it takes away from my space so thought this may have been better alternative

Only other problem is I have limited space for cooler so a big cooler is not an option which is main reason for looking at these

What kind of van do you have?

Be careful with running to much off the van, quick to fry the alternator.

35-40 degrees cooler than ambient? How hot does the inside of your van get in the summer? Use a cooler and ice or stop at Micky D's when you want a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    I looked into these a few years ago. For the same reason as you. I determined a 45 quart cooler with frozen milk jugs worked just as well. Swap out the jugs at night. No melted ice to deal with in the cooler.
    You got a ICE MACHINE tight ass. Share it.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Chevrolet express 2500 work van

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    You got a ICE MACHINE tight ass. Share it.
    That reminded me...I need to list that thing in the Trading Post. Probably get top dollar for it since it was once owned by SCDucks Royalty.

Black & Decker 12-Volt Travel Cooler
    Doubles as an arm rest with drink holders. Will not really cool your drinks but will keep them cold. Will freeze them if left long enough. Get the 120volt adapter to use it as a micro fridge

Went through three or four different ones looking for something that would work well when daughter was an infant. Most only dropped 20 degrees below ambient. Need it for a cruise to keep milk in, as i did not want to wait on room service with a crying baby. This one from walmart worked far better than the others bought at camping and hunting stores. Daughter is 11 and it still works.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.