Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poults!

Default Poults!

My wife called me on the way out of the drive way this morning and said she saw some turkeys with babies in the yard. When I pulled out they were still there. I saw 2 Hens with about 12 poults bugging and feeding in a patch of wheat I recently cut. That's the most poults I've seen on my property. Last year I only saw a hen with 4 and another hen on a tail cam with 2. I like to think that my trapping/predator management is starting to pay off.

AWESOME
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Good deal man! I saw the first ones on my place yesterday evening. They were big enough to fly. I thought I had gotten into a covey of quail at first until I saw the hen pitch up into the trees with them. I hate I busted them up but was glad I didnt run over any. I'd like to get you to show me the right way to trap some coyotes on my place this year if you dont mind.

lots of sightings in the upstate. mostly because we don't set the woods on fire during nesting season... I've also heard CWS started a gofund me page and is building several turkey storm shelters across the state. just in time for hurricane season. early numbers estimate this will save the lives of 23,785 poults from drowning.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    lots of sightings in the upstate. mostly because we don't set the woods on fire during nesting season... I've also heard CWS started a gofund me page and is building several turkey storm shelters across the state. just in time for hurricane season. early numbers estimate this will save the lives of 23,785 poults from drowning.
    LOL
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

he didnt work long leaf pine into it so I only give him a B-
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

and there's still hope Boozer's decoy ban bill #15.1155541 passes the house. no limits on turkeys if that thing goes through!

Can you get cost share assistance for those storm shelters?

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    he didnt work long leaf pine into it so I only give him a B-
    i also should have added FACT!!! to the end.. you know, so it's more believable

I am 2 for 2...

Saw them again this morning and also had a very small covey of quail (5) on the other end of the field! I heard them before I saw them.

They were all filling up on the cut wheat. I just bush hogged this wheat last Saturday and the field has been full of doves, rabbits, squirrels, and now the turkeys and quail since. It amazes me how quickly they key into a new food source and hammer it until its gone.

Finally saw some in Hampton county today. Glad to have seen them because I had not seen any since all of that rain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post

Phillip you failed to mention that the NWTF, Long Leaf Alliance, Tall Timbers and the South Carolina Prescribed Fire council are personally donating the grant money via a stewardship program with monies they gleaned from our gas tax and wma liscense dollars. The only downfall is that this money must be used to harvest only Long Leaf pine with Red Heart for the making of said Hurricane structures. However, additional funding has been allocated for the relocation of RCWs that have been field trained to incubate turkey eggs. All in all its sure to be a big win.
    Genesis 9;2

I saw 2 poultless hens today. One acted like she was still nesting
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Had a cool encounter with a hen and her dozen or so poults this weekend. Pulled into a clover plot and told my dad there was a turkey out there. We couldn’t see her anymore, however. As we drove closer, she popped up about ten yards away and started raising hell and dragging a wing. We immediately stopped and started looking hard. Sure enough, a load of 3-4 inch poults going everywhere in the clover. They were so small you couldn’t even see their heads above the clover. I figured it was a second set after the first failed but who knows.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I saw 2 poultless hens today. One acted like she was still nesting
    i, too, saw two on saturday. one was limping a little. the good news is that she was limping a lot back in may.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Some is better than none.

Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Saw 2 gobblers strutting behind hens this week.

I'm still going to call them little baby turkeys

saw two hens with 5-6 poults each in Hampton county over the weekend.

The few hens I've seen haven't had any little baby turkeys with them.