Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight or Helical Fletching

I know someone hit on this topic last year, but I need to bring it up again. I just got a whisker biscuit and think it's pretty cool. I've got a minor problem with it though. I can only shoot each arrow through it once because it rips the vanes off as it passes through. I know it shouldn't do that and the reason it's happening is because my arrows are pretty old and the glue for the vanes is pretty brittle. That's my assumption anyway. So anyway, I've got to refletch my arrows and need a jig to do it with. That brings me to the question. Straight or helical and vanes or feathers? I'm thinking straight is the way to go to minimize the contact with the arrow rest, but I know helical will result in better arrow flight. Feathers would probably be a little more forgiving with the rest, but vanes are tougher.

What do you experts think?
    If we weren\'t supposed to eat animals, God wouldn\'t have made them out of meat!!

I ain't no expert, but I like the straight and they work very well with the whisker biscuit. Recently, I found a great article that details the difference between straight and helical setups. When I get to work I'll post up the link.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I like helical for arrow flight, speed and accuracy.
    More fuel = more boost!!

has anyone used the helical blades?

I've tried straight and helical arrows that were identical otherwise and helical is more accurate from my bow. I don't think I'd use helical if I wasn't using a fall away rest. Fletching clearance problems make repeatable accuracy go to hell.

Real feathers might make the clearance issue less a problem but feathers are noisy and don't work as well when wet. Feathers are faster up close but slower downrange compared to vanes.

Tommy

This link should provide everything you need to know to make a decision.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/arrowhe...election-4.htm
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I do not shoot a whisker biscuit but my opinion is that I would try straight vanes or slightly offset vanes. I would not start with helical or feathers.

You should be able to get straight vanes to shoot fine.

I have shot helical blades and feathers on different compounds and different rests but did not like them. I shoot helical feathers on my recurve but I am not shooting a good clearance rest either.

My preference on a compound is a slight offset (twist) with vanes. Vanes are more durable and you do not have to take precautions for hunting in wet conditions.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

Moatsy...did you mean helical broadhead blades? If so I have not.

yes Candor, I saw 'em somewhere and now I can't find them.

Cabelas Talon's

Or

Golden Key
    Scroll down to the Dead Head with Heli-Kill

There are some more out there too I believe

Helical will help with accuracy but if you not shooting past 30 yard i would'nt worry about it. Feathers a more forgiving than vanes and would more likly go through the whiskers better.Feathers can be a problem if they get wet but I've been shooting feathers for 20 years with no problem.
    80-20 Genaration

Thanks for the help guys. Good information and the link from Lab was pretty informative. I'll probably stick with vanes and put them on straight. I like the idea of feathers, but there's a good chance Uncle Sam will send me to Washington state where it's raining 300 days out of the year and 100% of the deer hunting season. Too much to worry about to keep them dry or treated.

Now I've just got to get a fletching jig. Any suggestions on that? 3 vanes is the way I'll go.
    Thanks again.
    If we weren\'t supposed to eat animals, God wouldn\'t have made them out of meat!!

I shoot vanes thru a whisker biscuit with no problem at all.

Moatsy those helical things are funky looking.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

I have a Bitzenburger Dial-O-Fletch jig that works well. You can get right, left or straight clamps and set the jig for 3 or 4 fletch.

I've got a cheapy plastic knock off of the Bitzenburger. Cabelas has it for $30.

Grayling jig

Once I got the hang of it, it's a cinch. Removing excess glue is a little tougher than from the all metal Bitzenburger but it's really not a problem.

Tommy

Give fletching tape a try, you'll still want a spot of glue at the front and rear of each fletch, but the tape is much quicker, holds just fine and when trying to lay lots of helical tight against the shaft it's much more effective.

I've been using the Jo-Jan multi fletch for a couple of years with good results.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

four suggestions, four different answers. I'll get something, I guess. Thanks for the help. I think it's going to be metal, but I don't think I need the multi-arrow fletcher. I don't need to do 6 at a time (for the money anyway).

MC, I've never seen fletching tape. Got a link to it somewhere?

http://www.eders.com/Archery__and_Bo...2,129,131.html

Scroll down the page and it is 6th from the top. I know it says it's for feathers, but check with Candor, he turned me on to it and I know he has been shooting vanes in his compound so he'll be able to tell you whether or not it works with vanes. I've used it with feathers and it works like a champ.

Thanks for the link, MC. I'll give it a shot. It doesn't cost much, so won't be out anything if it doesn't work.