Thread: no release

I saw several deer Friday evening when sitting with my rifle but none were shooters. I even saw two four points fighting. My standards are lower when I sit with the bow so I went back Saturday evening. When I got in the stand, I realized I had forgotten my release. First time I've ever done that because I usually wrap my release strap around my bow when stored. There wasn't time to go back and get it so I decided to just try shooting fingers.

Well, as luck would have it, a nice 8 point comes in around 5:00 and stops right under the stand. He looks around and sniffs the air for a while and commences to browse around. When he grazed to where his head was behind a big pine tree, I drew without alarming him. Since my bow is so short, the string pinch on my fingers made it hard not to move the arrow off of the rest. Once I got settled down, I got the pin on the spot and he was still head down and unaware. I slowly relaxed my fingers and WHACK...I hit the tree. The buck ran a few steps and came back a resumed browsing, however by the time I got another arrow nocked, he was out of range. At least I didn't educate him.

After that exciting blunder, I decided to try to improvise a release using the lanyard twine from my grunt call. I need to practice but I think I can make it work. I may also do some shooting with fingers to see where my bow shoots in case this ever happens again.

Has anyone else ever come up with a good solution to improvising a release?

Damn it was a beautiful weekend!

There is alot of difference between shooting fingers and a release.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Learn to shoot fingers instinctively. I lerned growing up so it was never a conscious effort, but I can pick up YOUR bow and shoot a deer at 20 yards with it. You are right, the sight usually won't be on with fingers but if you shoot instinctive it will not matter. It is a good bit of work, but you may find that is more fun to just look and shoot. I end any practice session with one quiver the old fashioned way, so that I never forget it. Over time, you will be proficciant enough to take advantage of the situation you were in this week. I did the same thing a few years ago, but was able to make a decent shot anyway.

Otherwise, I have never rigged a release.
    Good Luck
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

tradorion Coots

Never had to rig one- I always carry a spare- one hooked to the bow and one in my butt pack- I can say that on the longer ATA bows I shoot it is less of a problem although there is still a decent difference going from release to fingers...

R