Thread: North Maine Woods

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default North Maine Woods

Anyone with experience hunting the North Maine Woods? Giving it serious thought for a fall bird hunting trip.

I watch North Wood Law on TV . Don’t get caught by that rookie Game Warden. He will give a ticket to his Mom.

Got a neighbor up the street that goes every year. They do well and have a good time.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Me and my Dad went several times - tied into a Black Duck hunt.. Lots of Ruffed Grouse and Woodcock.. Maine is a damn fine place to go in October.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I went on a bear hunt 5 years ago in September. All I remember was how dense the woods were. 20 yds in and you were lost
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Which is why you walk the roads and wait for the dogs to flush the,. Grouse and Woodcock shooting up there is snap shooting at the finest. Skeet or IC and a load of #6s and you are in business. It's some beautiful country.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    I went on a bear hunt 5 years ago in September. All I remember was how dense the woods were. 20 yds in and you were lost
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    This.

I grew up in Northern ME hunting rabbit and partridge.

The trip is on. We’ll be up there from October 28th through November 4th. The area we are headed to is dotted with small lakes and ponds. I’ll throw a small bag of decoys and some no-tox shells in the truck just in case. The first day we will be hunting with a guide using his dogs to get a better idea of the types of cover to target. The rest of the week we will be on our own. Can’t wait.

That sounds like a great trip. Please keep us posted.

I loved it. Planning on going back in the next couple years. Hitting the golden road? If so Take the older couple in the checkpoint something. They appreciate it and they remember you. Lots of small lakes up there and you can find some ducks on a few. Stop in and get coffee at the house up the road before going into the checkpoint -you'll see signs for it. Farmhouse (I'll have to look back and see what it was called). Use their shitter if you are staying on the golden road. It'll be the last working one you see. I blew it up(twice). Other than that Greenville ain't much of a town. Walk down to the lake and check out the boat museum. Neat little facts about log transport from long ago. Best thing up there is no cell service. Like the best money you spent for peace and quiet. Woods are dark. Bring a good light
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    Anyone with experience hunting the North Maine Woods? Giving it serious thought for a fall bird hunting trip.
    I grew up in Northern Maine. What do you want to know?
    USCG Cutterman

We’ll be entering the NMW at the “Six Mile” checkpoint just west of Ashland, ME and will not exit for a week. I spoke to the camp owner late last week and he indicated hatching conditions were good with a relatively dry spring. He told me he had seen numerous broods of 8-10 chicks. One day while out guiding some clients for brook trout, he said he saw 150+ chicks. We’ll see once the dogs actually hit the ground. Hopefully, the grouse and woodcock had a very good summer. My young setter just turned one. I hope to put him in a lot of birds.

Just how thick are the woods up there? I cannot imagine them being any thicker than a rhododendron thicket like what we have in NC.