Thread: Update on missing

Well, I stand corrected. I admit it. Had a nice long chat with Owen and was talking to him about our thread about shooting over a deer's back. FYI-it was Candor who missed....in case you forgot.

Anyway, I explained to Owen that i had been told that the effect of gravity on an arrow shot from an elevated position has a lot to do with missing over a deer's back. he said emphatically "NO!"

Here's the deal...most of us practice standing on the ground with our forearm perpendicular to our torso. Got it? Well, when elevated, that lead arm is pointing down towards the deer....while many times, we keep our back straight and tall. When doing this, we change the angle of the sight line (in other words, we lower the pin, but keep the eye in the same spot). To keep from shooting over a deer's back, you need to lean into the shot. In other words, you have to keep the front arm perpendicular to your torso to make it work.

I told Owen about people "picking a spot below the deer" and he said that would work if you "shoot wrong and got lucky when you picked the spot."

The cure: lean into the shot. Get your torso parallel to the deer and your arm perpendicular to your chest....but please don't pick a spot below the deer any more or you will shoot there...

hard to put into words...hope this helps. heading out to the farm to shoot the bow.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Originally posted by 2thDoc:
    ... FYI-it was Candor who missed....in case you forgot.

Anyway, I explained to Owen that i had been told that the effect of gravity on an arrow shot from an elevated position has a lot to do with missing over a deer's back
    First I don't need any help with my memory of missing...thanks though [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Second... WHERE IN HELL did you get this thing about gravity. I didn't read that anywhere in the thread crackhead (or perhaps I should say "gas"head). [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Toofer tell me more about this here miss that Candor executed... I like to keep a good supply of what I call "Keep Candor Humble" stories. You know that bald head of his gets to swelling some times and nothing slows the swelling quite like slapping a good ol' "You remember that time..." right on that gord of his

Owen gave you some good advice about bending at the waist, I had to learn that one the hard way too.

Toofer, I told you that on my post the other week. I had just visited over there and asked Owen the very same thing. Can you read??????? [img]graemlins/fu2.gif[/img]
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Toofer, I told you that on my post the other week. I had just visited over there and asked Owen the very same thing. Can you read??????? [img]graemlins/fu2.gif[/img]
    12-26-98 12-1-13

i can read about as good as MC and Candor.

maybe you two need to read the thread entitled MISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS a little closer. the answer to both your questions is in there...

Lab-you are the greatest bow hunter, ever.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

hmmm perhaps practice froma stand would help? I dunno

I know, thanks for the recognition, ya rubberhead! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    12-26-98 12-1-13

tradorion Coots

Sorry- i missed that one (gravity issue) or would have thrown in my 2 cents... gravity only acts on the same horizontal distance (you may range a deer at 37yds from a high stand and he is really only 28yds from the base of the tree- the 28yds is the distance you aim for not 37...)

I aim low from a tree b/c of 2 things- 1 ususally the deer is inside of 20ys and my arrow is flying higher than point of aim... and 2 I recognize that i do not bend at the waiste as much as i should... 3 even with a quiet bow i still worry about a little string jump... but in a point of disagreement with Owen (sacrilege i know) my percentage and number of kills tells me that i am doing it right rather than sometimes getting lucky...

T