Thread: portable gas tank vent question

Default portable gas tank vent question

I am very familiar with the plastic portable tanks that have the vent screw/knob made onto the top
    of the tank's gas cap. Bought a 6 gallon marine tank from ACE hardware the other day for my son's small skiff.
    When I bought it, I noticed the cap didn't have the traditional vent anywhere. I asked the guy about it and
    he said, "yeah, the government has now done away with that style". So I assumed the new tank's cap has some sort
    of "self venting" and saw a tiny valve looking thingy on the underside of the cap.
    Well, walked by the boat today and the gas tank was swollen up, cracked the cap and a ton of pressure gushed out.
    What gives? Faulty cap? Thinking these caps mostly look universal and may just order a better quality aftermarket cap

Same problem with mine.....you can find the pre government bullshit on the web. Just reminded me to order one. Just look for the non EPA caps that fit the same brand of tank.

Here is a for example link......look at the description on this one.

https://marine-products.com/collecti...ap-manual-vent

Quote Originally Posted by Big Timber View Post
    Here is a for example link......look at the description on this one.

https://marine-products.com/collecti...ap-manual-vent
    Yep, I am going that route, may walk into Academy tomorrow and see if they have one in-stock.
    I am sure West Marine will carry it but the price will be 2X

I just ordered one on Amazon. I have a Scepter tank I bought at academy but it is a Moeller cap that I just ordered. I think it will fit and I will keep you updated if you can't find one locally. My academy didn't have them.

I hope it works. There is a good chance the threads are different. The EPA compliant deck fills have a different thread pattern than the old vented style.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Under the cap vent is a small rubber one way valve. I took a pair of needle nose and pulled that piece of rubber out and haven’t had a problem since.

west marine will match prices of other brick and mortar stores

https://www.amazon.com/Siphon-Origin...56062450&psc=1

Grab one of these. Shake about three times and in goes the gas.

Pull the dipstick and smell for gas. Most of those type tanks were building enough pressure to force gas through in the injectors across the cylinders and down into the crank.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I dunno, but being a good duck hunter and shooting woodducks have nothing in common.

You know any real good dove hunters?

Fun as hell, but.....

I guarantee I've put enough fuel on the dirt from the tank over pressuring and leaking into my bilge area to offset the reduced emission from them environmentally friendly tanks.... just another thing the government has ruined

all good points, if a new old style cap doesn't fit it
    then the new tank will be in a dumpster somewhere
    Last edited by ecu1984; 04-11-2022 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Lab View Post
    Pull the dipstick and smell for gas. Most of those type tanks were building enough pressure to force gas through in the injectors across the cylinders and down into the crank.
    This.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

got the one i ordered yesterday works perfectly