Thread: Recurve advice

Just got me a new (used) Jeffrey Royal Mag Hunter Recurve. WTF do I do now? Arrow selection? I am a newbie. Please help. What are the differences I need to realize between my compound and the recurve? Do I have to paint my face and wear a loincloth?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

What length bow is it, what is the pull weight on it? Both of these should be on the side of one of the limbs (not the wide part of the limb but the edge where you would see the wood laminated together close to the riser.

What is your draw length?

Does it have a rest on it?

Do you have a string on it?

Shooting your compound is like shooting a gun next to it. I would make the analogy that shooting a 'curve is more akin to shooting a shotgun and shooting a compound is more like a rifle. The recurve to me is much more enjoyable to just shoot with.

You need mocs and a few eagle feathers for your head band.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

Glad to hear you've taken that first step. Your draw weight is my first question. Do you want to shoot alum or wood? The big difference is your loss of speed from compound to bow. Therefore, arrow weight, sharp broadheads and good shooting must be your focus. I've found Owen's recurves to be pretty tolerant to a wide range of arrow weight/spine etc. Generally, I'd go with the smallest diameter, heaviest weight shaft your bow can shoot well. Based on what I've read and tried, this is the best formula for penetration with traditional bows. Loose the speed mindset. Quiet release is insurance for a lack of speed. "Heavy and sharp" should give you just as much penetration as "light and fast" did. I'm building some arrows made of ash as we speak (real heavyweights) and hopefully can stick a deer or piggy this year with one to see how well they work. I'd used cedar arrows matched to my bow's weight up to now.
    Finally, I've met you toof, please....no loin cloth.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

First off...you of all people DO NOT need a loincloth. Sounds like the other two gave you enough to answer. But you need to come shoot with me in a few weeks. I just ordered one Monday, Royal Mag Hunter 58" 52# at 28" 56# at 29.5" where I'm drawing. I'm going to be needing an arrow fetcher that can hurdle fences, root through wood piles, find arrows that burry in the grass and is willing to stand at 20 yards with an apple on his head. What you say?

i will look at the details...i know its pulling at 50# where it is set.

I would like to go as "traditional" as possible. THinking about wooden arrows....

thanks for the comments about the loin cloth. I wouldn't want Big Willy making an appearance any more than you guys....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Just take it around to Owen and let him look at it and tell him what you want to do with it. While you're at it, let him watch you shoot and make suggestions on your form.

I love wood, but one thing to consider is durability, especially with wood like cedar. They don't hold up as well as alum. So, you might get some of both and use the alums for ramping up.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead