Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Okie dokie whose ready for Saturday opener????

Other factors such as hunter success are often perceived as an issue, but research has documented little difference in harvest rates between hunters who use bait and those that do not.
    can you read???

There is a potential for other diseases to be involved elsewhere in the state if supplemental feeding creates
    appropriate conditions for pathogenic forms, and extensive baiting could contribute to this problem. There is
    good supportive evidence of relationships, but conclusive research is unavailable.
    read this one and then talk to people in wisconsin about deer yards. when deer congregate in winter herds, they are stepping all over each otehr to get to food. this does not happen in the south and is irrelevant to our discussions.

baiting in SC has no bearing on the spread of disease. the only concern would be toxo in the corn itself, NOT disease transmission from one deer to another.

again, lab, i hate it for you, but ethics aside, baiting is NOT harmful to deer in SC.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I used to like old Lab....

But then he ran out of doves! [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Originally posted by LabLuvR:
    Toof I know you will argue with an anvil but here is a link to support my arguments. Educate yourself just a tad and open your mind. BTW, this is not the only relevant study out there similar in scope and nature.

LINK TO PDF FILE
    i am still tickled by this post and just how wrong you are on everything except the fact that I like to argue.

i wont quote your next reply that said the exact opposite of what I quoted from YOUR link.

[img]graemlins/dance.gif[/img]

I am going to shoot a deer over a persimmon vine. too bad that buck was likely heading to a corn pile somewhere....

[ 09-12-2007, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Mergie Master ]

I think the baiting versus foodplots debate is all about perception. The foodplots are percieved better, but the end result is the same. Not many individuals have the time money or expertise to maintain the year around plots needed to really do a herd any good. I have a stand overlooking a 4 acre cornfield. With a rifle I can cover the whole field. With a bow I can cover the three trails that the deer use 99% of the time if the wind is right. While its not a "cornpile" its still serves the same purpose. I killed a deer yesterday evening in a beanfield. I did squat other than a little scouting and climbing a tree with the wind in my face to kill a decent buck. I knew where he would come out and about when. I put even less effort into that kill than a guy that hauls corn into his stand. Yet my kill will be percieved by some as more sporting. Was it? IMO it wasnt. Killing a deer over persimmons or acorns might take a little boot leather but once you know where and when to look its pretty simple. Then its just a matter of paying attention to the wind and waiting. I think we try to make killing a deer seem like alot more of an accomplishment than it really is. However its done its a helluva lot of fun.

Grapes,persimmons,and acorns will be done in a few weeks.

I looked at quite a few fresh acorns on the ground this evening. They were bad and couldn't feed a fire ant.

If you have bad food plots, you better replant this weekend.

Toofer, my dear friend, you twisted parts of the study to fit your agenda. But that is okay, as I knew you would. I posted the link to help educate you, but instead you choose to see what you want to see. Dentist are like that. They see a cavity and want to fill it. I see a cavity and want them to leave it the hell alone, one less toof to brush and floss in the future.

Cat, you are right and I replanted yesterday morning. Came home in the evening, turkey tracks all in the plots. Some years ya just can't win.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

If we would all limit ourselves to 20 yards on wood goats, all the straw men from weapon choice to management style would evaporate. When you get outside of the deer's natural sensory radar, fair chase reality is dramatically diminished and all these mole hills made into mountains are more about pecker measurin than anything else. I don't care how many or how big or what you hunt over, I hope everybody has a heartracing encounter with a whitetail this season. The kind that leaves you feeling like you did that very first time. That's the primal connection that is the seed to sustain this game we love. Water and fertilize those seeds and see how they compare to your favorite food plot.

Brought to you by your friendly, helpless, tree humpin, wildlife recyclin bow toter.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

but labhumpr is a REAL hunter because he has a muzzleloader and can shoot a deer 100 yards away in his food plot.

or the buddy of mine who always tells me of the HUGE BUCK he killed on someone else's place. all he really did was make the shot.

until you see buck sign, pattern the deer, hang your own stand and shoot him in his house, you are just a shooter.

lab still doesn't realize all my quotes from his article were in context of his argument and I shot it all to hell and he took his ball and went home cuz he was wrong.

until you see buck sign, pattern the deer, hang your own stand and shoot him in his house, you are just a shooter

And that is why a person who hunts over corn is shooting and not hunting. Thanks for making my point, we are now in full agreement.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

I am going to shoot a deer over a persimmon vine.
    [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/lamoo.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/lamoo.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/lamoo.gif[/img]

I've got some pokeweed I poured out, deer are killing it!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

I put out corn for deer, though I rarely hunt over the corn. Because I bowhunt I back off the corn a few hundred yards and try to intercept the deer between the corn and bedding area. In my observations, the majority of big bucks won't come to that corn until after dark anyway. Corn has no nutritional value whatsoever. It is like feeding a kid candy. Is it worn to shoot over corn? Absolutley not. I hate to hear the argument though that hunting in the lowcountry is easier due to corn. This is complete BS and the opposite is true. I killed way more deer with me bow hunting abbeville, laurens, and greenwood counties during my 4 years of college than I did in my 5 years of bowhunting the lowcountry. Deer in the upstate have to get up earlier because they know they don't have the luxury of a neverending corn supply a hundred yards from where they lay. You stand a much better chance of getting a nice buck to move around before dark if he knows he has to get up and search for something to eat!

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am going to shoot a deer over a persimmon vine.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny how study after study has proven that hunters who do NOT hunt over bait have better success than those who do bait. Yet people piss away money all the time on different baits just to lose the battle.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

its YOUR fucking link dumbass!
    Other factors such as hunter success are often perceived as an issue, but research has documented little difference in harvest rates between hunters who use bait and those that do not.
    PERCEIVED AS AN ISSUE!!!!!!!! LITTLE DIFFERENCE IN HARVEST RATES!!!

CAN YOU FUCKING READ LABHUMPER?

Toof you are the dumbass who can't fucking read!

In the 1984 survey (Langenau et al. 1985), hunters
    who used bait were no more effective in harvesting deer (2.4 deer per 100 hunter days) than those who did
    not use bait (2.2 deer per 100 hunter days). A 1993 Wisconsin survey found that hunting with bait does not
    increase a hunter’s success rate compared to those that did not use bait.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

All this shit over a windshield-bustin', soybean-crop-destroyin', Mamma's-daylily-eatin', tree-rubbin', doe-chasin', ass-lickin' wood goat.

Dump corn or not. I don't give a crap. I'll shot a doe over corn, rye, oats, soybeans, salt, road beds, powerlines, whatever. So long as it's legal.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Originally posted by Candor:
    DAMN... Fish has gotten ahold of 2th's com-pu-ter.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    An average hunt becomes great with a good dog

I think the harvest rates of bait vs no bait are skewed by the fact that the upstate has a shorter season and hunters feel the need to pull the trigger alot quicker.

On this side of the state there seems to be no hurray to shoot on alot of properties and even though we shoot does here as well, we don't think they are the devil that the DNR has led us to believe.

I have noticed that since the DNR posted the harvest results ,the upstate hunters have used the difference to make a case that they are better hunters(chest thumpers).

Lab isn't the first to use those figures to make that case.

I believe our "sightings per hunt" would dwarf the upstate. We just don't shoot as much,imho.