Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Okie dokie whose ready for Saturday opener????

Originally posted by LabLuvR:
    Instead we have to know how to "hunt". World of difference there ol buddy.
    A legend in your own mind
    More fuel = more boost!!

he mocks what he does not understand.

take, for example, herd health. Labluvr will tell you that he is a deer hunter, but has no clue about the dynamics in a healthy herd. he says he is a conservationist, but has no desire to delve into the science behind it all. its odd. we all know that. Maybe some day, Labluvr will sit down and try to learn. Until then, he will shut his mind and mock things that he doesn't want to learn about. Its sad, because I really like the guy. i just wish he would take a moment to not only listen, but to understand what it is all about.

I guess he will keep screwing up his food plots (lab-mine are growing even without rain) and continue to badmouth healthy deer herds while he "hunts close to food plots."

Good luck with all that....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Toofer you are talking about healthy deer whilst pouring out corn yourself. How in the hell do those two fit together? Answer is they don't and furthermore you could actually be endangering the health of the herd with such acts.

What does my piss poor food plots have to do with hunting over corn? You corn hunters just need to admit that what you do is not in the best interest of the deer herd and sends the wrong message to those who should learn about hunting instead of how to open a bag.

Go ahead and cut my ass some more, but you know I'm right and defend yourself out of guilt.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

DAMN... Fish has gotten ahold of 2th's com-pu-ter.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

But what does it all mean Basil?

That's what I figure Candor, Toof ain't quite that stupid to back himself into such a corner. Maybe it was Costa who stole Toofs computer? [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    12-26-98 12-1-13

(I'm glad you bit on this one. I have been waiting....)

tell me, oh great hunter man, what you have learned about hunting deer that draws you to set up near your food source (although you readily admit your food plots suck)?

then, tell me what is wrong with the deer herd in areas that are allowed to bait. Please explain to me what we have done that is so bad for the deer. are they dying or something?

oh...I am waiting....

Tell me this Toofer, do you really think baiting is ethical? How many biologist do you know who promote corn hunting as a means of sound biological management?

Now I'm willing to admit I've hunted over corn in the past and may well do it again in the future. But with that said, I do wrestle with the ethics and pitfalls of such a practice.

Leave my food plots out of this, I've had a lot less rain than you and how many deer did ya'll kill last year as a result of your glorious food plots?
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Lab, you are wrong. Toof is stupid.
    I'm just proud to be here.

Toofer the great wizard should study a little more witness this:

The primary biological consideration of baiting deer is the increased potential for disease transmissionwhenever animals are concentrated (Leopold 1933).
    12-26-98 12-1-13

How many biologist do you know who promote corn hunting as a means of sound biological management?
    I saw John Frampton hunting over corn in the Lowcountry on TV. Isn't he a biologist?

How many contagious deer diseases have we had due to feeding on corn piles?

One last point, CWD seems to be what all biologists are scared of but it jumps from state to state leaving some out. The only possible senerio/culprit is out of state hunters/deer importers bringing it back. Importing deer is already against the law, so why don't we outlaw deer hunting in SC once you have been deer hunting out of state. Seems like the safest solution to me.

Corn is used to draw deer in

Food plots are used to lure deer in

[img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    More fuel = more boost!!

Cat, I don't know what Framptons position is. But I do know that I've never heard of any biologist promoting baiting for a wide variety of reasons. I'm not a biologist, but I do think at minimum it is a issue of ethics. Not all would agree I'm sure. A lot of folks have only hunted over corn and think I'm cutting their ass when I'm not. I'm merely saying hunting is a lot more challenging "to me" when done the good ol way. But I guess folks like TOOFprick want to be hip and modern in their ways. [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    12-26-98 12-1-13

answer my questions, labluvr.

come hunt with me with your bow and tell me how much corn you see. Come regale me with your stories. Come teach me to plant a food plot. Oh wise one...

You can preach ethics all you want. I understand where you are coming from ON THAT POINT. But you continue to badmouth corn and QDM when you really dont know what you are talking about.

Toofer answer my question. Overall is corn hunting a negative for hunters, hunting and the herd? Yes or no will suffice.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Overall is corn hunting a negative for hunters, hunting and the herd?
    OK. I will answer because I am not afraid to argue my point because I have knowledge on the subject. When you decide to open your brain and learn, I would love to hear YOUR answers to MY questions.

corn negative to hunters? no...unless a hunter brings it up. non hunters have no clue about the practice.

corn negative to hunting? no. ask the guys that kill bears and whitetail in canada over bait.

corn negative to the herd? no. see the lowcountry and ask them if they have too few deer.

i know its not the answers you want to hear and I know you will say I am wrong, but I would love for you to bring facts to the table to support otherwise.

Toof I know you will argue with an anvil but here is a link to support my arguments. Educate yourself just a tad and open your mind. BTW, this is not the only relevant study out there similar in scope and nature.

http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/publicati.../99baiting.pdf
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Btw, if you happen to read the study you will note that hunters who did NOT hunt over bait,had better success than those who did. The study mirrors our experiences in SC as well.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

I am sure everybody likes to fish. Right? What do you use to catch fish? Bait !!!
    So what is the big difference? So, it’s ok to use bait for fishing but not hunting.

lab--CWD has not been an issue south of wisconsin. it has no bearing on discussions of baiting in SC.

Bovine TB is also not found in SC due to its high temperatures.

Keep trying, buddy. and do yourself a favor and look for articles that pertain to the south and those printed since the turn of the century.

I admire your one link. I also admire that you read deep enough into it to get the Leupold quote from your earlier response, but let's look past YOUR ethical concerns about baiting deer with corn and find me some scientific substance to support your stance.

Again, I appreciate and admire your tenacity when it comes to bad-mouthing baiting....however, I would like to see you argue with your brain and not your heart. Ethics do not control science any more. Have you heard of stem cells?