Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Poult mortality....

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Aaahhhhh....I get it now!
    You read the USFWS/Longleaf Alliance article recently published about myself, my business, and family property?
    I see now...this is your attempt to "call me out" or "shame me" about being a family landowner or working with the SC Forestry Comm., USFWS, NRCS, or the Longleaf Alliance to procure matching grants and cost share for our land or other clients!
    Although pretty low, nice try....I am ashamed of nothing, most certainly not any "inheritance" as you put it!
    The article IMO was pretty poorly written and I did not get to proof read it as I was told but they did manage to covey the message fairly well but of course, you don't get it!

I will continue to help others with their natural resources and continue to be passionate about land and wildlife conservation.
    I have made my position very clear on here regarding growing season fires and it stands that I am opposed to what the USFS is doing @ FMNF with their massive, hot fires.
    However, the fact remains that landowners such as myself who do utilize fire from one season to the next have abundant game and non-game populations across the landscape....Including but not limited to wild quail and turkey!
    Carry on....
    Bless your heart

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    A harder working and better friend of wildlife I have yet to meet.
    Maybe so, but I did hear about a deer bed guy once. Just sayin....
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.

Quote Originally Posted by NUTZ View Post
    Maybe so, but I did hear about a deer bed guy once. Just sayin....
    Deer bed guy is some next level stuff.

We're just talking about simple stuff like keeping fancy chickens alive here.

How big is your herd?

Good one......lol
    Quote Originally Posted by NUTZ View Post
    Customer 1 leases to dog drivers and customer 2 leases to still hunters.
    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    There is nothing about fire that would compromise a clients ability to achieve a ROI.....
    I'm aware of that. Fire is somewhat of a lesser cost when it comes to managing pines v. other potential methods if my limited knowledge of the subject is correct.?

What I am trying to ask is that if money spent and ROI is not an issue is fire still the best way to manage both pines and wildlife or are there other ways that work equally well?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Fire is without a doubt the cheapest and most effective Wildlife Management tool known to man! Of course there are other ways to set back secession such as herbicides but once again there are all kinds of variables to consider...
    Last edited by Calibogue; 05-16-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    Helicopters, 4wheeelers, diesel fuel are not natural parts of the ecosystem... Not sure why 2th is having trouble grasping that. Cali just likes to stiff the pot and has zero evidence to support his FACT
    dude. you're gonna lose and you're not following me. I wont pretend like I am surprised. I will try to keep it simple although I may leave some things out that would've helped. I apologize for that.

Widespread burns of the FMNF are not smart. OK? It has nothing to do with drip torches, people, or even helicopters. Pay attention.
    Now, that burnt nest was a long way from being a photo opportunity for someone on their tailgate. Nest predation, for starters. Dont even get me started on the perils of being a flightless bird for a couple-few weeks. Life in the wild is tough. The burns of the FMNF are not decimating the wild turkey population but they are certainly having an effect...and one we can help (by not burning such large blocks in that timeframe).
    Fires happen. They always have. Private landowners can micromanage blocks. I'll bet cali would LOVE to string a 1000 acre fire...if he could control it...and turkey nests be damned. There is a greater good that comes out of a warm season burn. Its worth the "risk" for most private landowners that can "afford" to do it...and its not all about money. Its also about time and ability (along with an incredible knowledge of WHY we burn).

So, you may think I dont know what I'm talking about....or that I am somehow IN FAVOR or aerial ignition of 1000s of acres....but it just proves you already had your mind made up before you slowed down a bit and listened to what was being said. People jumped on scott and he was still right. More turkey eggs will drown in SC than were burnt in FM the last few weeks. and I'll bet (without any proof or knowledge) that even MORE will be eaten by snakes and raccoons this week than both combined.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Question for Cali.

Two customers approach you, each one having very similar properties of large acreage in the same geographic region and for the sake of this question we will say the properties are even laid out similar in habitat for what you would typically see for the area you work in.

Spending money to achieve the end goal is not an issue for either customer.

Customer 1 wants to make money off the property ( cutting and planting pines) and manage for wildlife (mainly deer/turkey) at the same time.

Customer 2 cares nothing about making money from the property but simply wants to manage for wildlife the best way possible.

How are these properties treated differently?
    I got this....

F@&@! A PINE TREE!

He cant say it bc he is, apparently, busy with that silver spoon in his mouth....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I've seen cali sweat more helping someone else than most of you folks have ever done for the greater good.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

All those reading this thread...once you get to this post stop for a moment and think to yourself the following:

Do I KNOW what I am talking about, or do I THINK I know what I am talking about?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

BRR don’t you farm with your FIL?
    cut\'em

dude. you're gonna lose and you're not following me. I wont pretend like I am surprised. I will try to keep it simple although I may leave some things out that would've helped. I apologize for that.

Widespread burns of the FMNF are not smart. OK? It has nothing to do with drip torches, people, or even helicopters. Pay attention.
    Now, that burnt nest was a long way from being a photo opportunity for someone on their tailgate. Nest predation, for starters. Dont even get me started on the perils of being a flightless bird for a couple-few weeks. Life in the wild is tough. The burns of the FMNF are not decimating the wild turkey population but they are certainly having an effect...and one we can help (by not burning such large blocks in that timeframe).
    Fires happen. They always have. Private landowners can micromanage blocks. I'll bet cali would LOVE to string a 1000 acre fire...if he could control it...and turkey nests be damned. There is a greater good that comes out of a warm season burn. Its worth the "risk" for most private landowners that can "afford" to do it...and its not all about money. Its also about time and ability (along with an incredible knowledge of WHY we burn).

So, you may think I dont know what I'm talking about....or that I am somehow IN FAVOR or aerial ignition of 1000s of acres....but it just proves you already had your mind made up before you slowed down a bit and listened to what was being said. People jumped on scott and he was still right. More turkey eggs will drown in SC than were burnt in FM the last few weeks. and I'll bet (without any proof or knowledge) that even MORE will be eaten by snakes and raccoons this week than both combined.
    mic drop

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    I took a video of a gobbler breeding a hen this morning. I hope it doesn't monsoon in 42-50 days before the future poults are mature enough to withstand it.
    I've seen poults with egg teeth as late as July 28th. I would assume the mortality on late born chicks is probably higher.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

mic drop
    Woah. Wait. You sidin with toof?

I'd like to announce that me and my boys no longer give em a pass. Save the eggs

No kidding. Cali bust his hind end day in and day out to leave this world with way more resources than he found it. A harder working and better friend of wildlife I have yet to meet.
    x2

After reading all this, one thing i have learned is either brr doesn't know shit, doesn't know Cali, or both.
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Thanks for that. This post had a little more substance than your standard, cynical, 5 word sentence about mother nature being a bitch.
    What I can't get past, or agree with, is lumping together nest predation, bad weather, and other natural ways a turkey can die, with MAN MADE fires. I see zero friggin logic in that. (Yes, I know we stop natural fires too. Separate argument I think, with many variables).

While Cali, and apparently you, think that this is an attack on forestry practice using fire, it's not! At least not from me. My beef is the MFing government is going to further restrict my hunting privilege due to supposed turkey decline, while at the same time they are mismanaging our natural resources. Is it the same gov entity? I don't know. Maybe not, or in some cases maybe so. Either way, they are both using tax payer money to screw shit up, and it's ok for people that care about the woods and wildlife to bitch about it. Capisce?

And, if Cali truly wants to educate people, for the "greater good", stop typing in CAPS, using a million !!!!!!!!!!!!!, using words like vagina, emotions, etc.

Come on dove season.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Like.

Also,
    I was always in favor of separate seasons, baiting regs, limits for up and low state.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by youngbucktx View Post
    thanks for that. This post had a little more substance than your standard, cynical, 5 word sentence about mother nature being a bitch.
    What i can't get past, or agree with, is lumping together nest predation, bad weather, and other natural ways a turkey can die, with man made fires. I see zero friggin logic in that. (yes, i know we stop natural fires too. Separate argument i think, with many variables).

While cali, and apparently you, think that this is an attack on forestry practice using fire, it's not! At least not from me. My beef is the mfing government is going to further restrict my hunting privilege due to supposed turkey decline, while at the same time they are mismanaging our natural resources. Is it the same gov entity? I don't know. Maybe not, or in some cases maybe so. Either way, they are both using tax payer money to screw shit up, and it's ok for people that care about the woods and wildlife to bitch about it. Capisce?

And, if cali truly wants to educate people, for the "greater good", stop typing in caps, using a million !!!!!!!!!!!!!, using words like vagina, emotions, etc.
    I have come to the realization there are those who lack the mental fortitude to even be led to the waters edge for a drink, much less educated.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Calibogue; 05-16-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE