Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poult mortality....

Default Poult mortality....

More poults will die in SC this week from the torrential rain than eggs burned this year in growing season fires!
    FACT...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Yep, happened like this last year as well

dont confuse people.

mother nature is cruel, too.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

You can control one and not the other, fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    You can control one and not the other, fact.
    Yes,......and the potential heavy rains this week may cover a thousand times(or more) as much acreage as the late season burns.

Oh, .......and none of these will drown.

Last edited by Catdaddy; 05-15-2018 at 01:17 PM.

So it seems like burning eggs may now be in fact better for turkeys

Where is the rain? My grass is crunchy
    867-5309

I don't know man, but I'd rather have an adequate amount of rain than an abundance of turkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    More poults will die in SC this week from the torrential rain than eggs burned this year in growing season fires!
    FACT...
    I don't think so Clark.....

What age do you think the polts are old enough to manage the constant rains?

I am asking because I saw at least four early hatches this year during the last 10 days of the season.
    Last edited by DJP; 05-15-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Jenks I don't know what age exactly that would be but I would suspect that when they reach a height of approximately 6 inch they are pretty hearty and durable at that point.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

yeah. it's ok to burn turkeys because they don't have a chance anyways. dumbassery abounds

i dont think that's anyone's point

and cali is right if yall would stop thinking its some conspiracy.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Jenks I don't know what age exactly that would be but I would suspect that when they reach a height of approximately 6 inch they are pretty hearty and durable at that point.
    I don't recall the exact age either but generally it's when they get pin feathers that they can endure better. Ditto for quail, pheasants. Raised more than a few as a kid and that's when we moved them out of the brooders. Pin feather may not be the right term but basically when they started showing flight and body feathers they were good to go.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    I don't recall the exact age either but generally it's when they get pin feathers that they can endure better. Ditto for quail, pheasants. Raised more than a few as a kid and that's when we moved them out of the brooders. Pin feather may not be the right term but basically when they started showing flight and body feathers they were good to go.
    yes you are correct and the same goes for any precocial species... once they shed their last Downy feathers they are ready to rock!

Most of you peckerheads are blinded by your obsession with turkeys and throw facts and science out the window just like a Bunch of Democrats
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    I've raised poults as well but don't remember the exact timing I think it was similar to a chicken which would be 5 weeks. Got some that are 3 weeks old that have their wings grown in but still have the downy feathers on their body.

Heavy rain is an issue no doubt, especially when continuous and cold. Not sure what this system will hold as of yet but hoping for the best outcome.

We daggum sure need some rain.

We also daggum sure need more attention drawn to improperly applied fire and timing.

That said, I don't think Cali is meaning to condone nor agrees to large landscape, high intensity fire during the nesting, incubation and poulting season though?

One thing is also fact = Mother Nature can't re kill an embryo / poult that has been previously killed by fire.

12-14 days seems to be accepted age of flutter/ short flight time and 21 days puts them able to join their hen on a low limb, which in my opine increases their defense against not only predators but also moderate rain events.

Personally I am hoping that lots of poults were hatched 4/24-5/3 as the last heavy rain occurred on 4/23. The math as to our approximate SE peak incubation @ 4/16-4/26 plus a 28 day incubation period however adds more so to poults being hatched right around now and the next couple of weeks for the majority. I have heard of several early poult sightings this year though which is hopeful, I guess.

I searched long and hard to find a study that showed submersion studies on poultry eggs viability in efforts to correlate Wild Turkey eggs viability to the last big rain event we had on the 23 where many areas received up to and over 5".

Reckon it will all depend on what happens with this upcoming rain event.
    Last edited by Strick9; 05-15-2018 at 06:43 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Most of you peckerheads are blinded by your obsession with turkeys and throw facts and science out the window just like a Bunch of Democrats
    Just curious...which side do you stand on?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I don’t give much of a shit about a turkey or a deer for that matter. I do know that fire and rain are natural parts of our ecosystem. The fact that we light them in the growing season is playing hand of God a little but I think the rewards outweigh the costs but I am not an expert. I am opinionated though and 99% of you turkey poets annoy the shit out of me.
    cut\'em