Thread: Chainey briar?

Default Chainey briar?

A buddy of mine stopped by the farm and showed me his harvest that he was going to cook when he got home. I had never heard of it. He said it grows wild all over the place and he'd been eating it since childhood. It looked like stringy, viney pieces of asparagus. We walked less than a hundred yards and found some growing on my place. I recognized it as what I thought was giant smilax vines. Indeed, it is a type of smilax. The edible part is the new shoot on the end of the big thorny vine. I have been at war with these damn weeds and knew I had some motherload patches. I cut a batch and brought it home to try. It was OK, or "fine" as my wife calls anything that's just mediocre. It might be better with some added flavor, like a Caesar salad dressing or something. I wasn't wowed by it. Nonetheless, I was surprised I'd never heard of it. I did a Google search and found an article about it from Garden and Gun. Anybody ever heard of it?

I'll occasionally grab one and munch while walking through the woods. Got to be real young and tender. Didn't think enough of it to pick a bunch to take home. You cook or eat raw?
    Last edited by Beauregard; 05-13-2018 at 08:55 PM.

People eat shit like this for attention. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post
    I'll occasionally grab one and munch while walking through the woods. Got to be real young and tender. Didn't think enough of it to pick a bunch to take home. You cook or eat raw?
    I steamed it like asparagus with a little butter. It needed more. The recipes online talk about searing it on the grill with olive oil. I think it needs a vinaigrette or Italian dressing. It was pretty similar in texture to asparagus but with less flavor. It did look interesting on the plate.

I need to ask a Gullah friend if he's ever heard of it. It appears to be a coastal barrier island kind of thing.