Thread: Very psyched about the new Rage BH's...

Since putting down the recurve a couple of years back and picking up a Matthews, I've been through a bunch of broadheads. Eventually I settled on the Snyper two blade and Tekkan for their cut on impact, rearward deploying blade design. The problem I had with the Snyper was that I had one open upon release and it whizzed loudly over the deer. This was due to the rubberband design. I switched to the G5 Tekkan and killed two deer with it. Both died, and both died quickly, but one ran ~75 yards and crashed and the other ran fifteen steps, looked around, wobbled, and went down. Sounds great, right? Well, neither of those deer left a drop of blood past where I punched through them. Both were good shots. The entry anad exit wounds were rather small, and I think the blades did not open fully on the first. So now this Rage broadhead is an improved design of the Snyper, which was devastating on several deer I killed with them, and made it a no-rubberband design. They also have a three blade version that I will be trying out this fall. They look like the answer I've been looking for. Check them out and tell me what y'all think.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I have tried a lot of different expandables out and I always come back to the Rockets for three reasons - penetration/pass throughs, blood trail, and ease of shooting.

I know I am getting off your intended topic but it sounds like you have done a lot of experimenting and I am curious what bad experiences you had with the Rockets. I think the one I shoot is the Sidewinder or something like that.

Granted I do not stay on the leading edge of archery developments.... I have even gone back to a longer (axle to axle) higher brace height compound (over my shorter, faster, lower brace height bow) just to provide a margin of error if I lean out and make a funky release.

I believe a lot of the archery developments are not improvements for the bowhunter.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

as a common-sense guy, i have never liked a mechanical broadhead. too many stories about poor performance. hell, all it takes is ONE story. i like a fixed blade. no frills. no fuss. cuts like a mother. i shoot a 4 blade muzzy and have no bad experiences...

except that time i had a pass-through on a big, boar hog from a ground blind and when we trailed him, he stood up and was not very happy with me.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Rocket Sidewinders for me. I've tried a few others. I tried the Vortex after a buddy recommended them but they do not passthrough well for me. The sidewinders passthrough if I do my part.

I like mechanicals because they don't expose me to the razor blades. I cut the crap out of my finger once and almost cut through a bow string another time when an arrow fell off the rest. I don't like climbing trees with exposed razorblades near me. My biggest concern with the forward facing blades on expandables is snagging a small twig before it gets to the deer. I've looked at the broadheads with rearward deploying blades but none have looked reliable to me and they usually have the sharp edge facing outward.

My bow is set up to shoot short arrows and my fall away rest shoots best when it picks up on the last couple inches of draw. Fixed blades hit my shelf before the rest starts to pick it up and denocks the arrows. I can tweak the rest to pick up sooner but it doesn't shoot as well, perhaps due to bow hand torque or some other bad habit.

just my 2 ceants/ Started shooting grim reaper about 2 years ago and am very happy with the results. You can use them as a mechanical or lock them open for shotting like a fixed blad.

i am also impressed w/ the rage broadheads. i have the 3-blade im practicing with for this coming deer season and am very impressed w/ how they deploy from the rear on impact. they only complaint i have about them is that they dont fly like my fieldtips do. its no trouble to adjust for the broadheads, but the manufacturer says theyll fly like fieldtips, and they dont.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

You can't go wrong with a good fixed blade broadhead. Lot's of good ones, Muzzy, Magnus Stingers & Snuffer SS, Razorcaps, etc. I made the switch 5 years from mechs and can't be happier. You bow has to be tuned to shoot fixed heads. Easton's tuning guide (can be downloaded from their website) shows how to tune a bow to shoot fxed heads. It takes a little longer to get your set up right, but it is worth it.

I've heard it said that "mechanical broadheads are for people too lazy to tune a bow" (not my words).
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    RY-you are a killer. plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Rebel Yell has killed more shit than small pox!
    Stripa Swipa > Ron Jeremy

If you want to compare broadhead performance you may want to check out bowsite,com.
    Go to forums and look for a guy that goes by the user name 5shot. He does a very good unbiased job of testing bheads and posting results

Zig, How are they not flying like field pts? Are they drifting or not flying straight, or are they just hitting the target different than your fps?
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

whitewaterduck-they just dont fly like my fieldtips do. when i first starting shooting the rages, i just thought i was pulling the broadhead one way or the other. but that was not the case. they consistenly fly diff than my field pnts do. theyre both 100 grain so thats not the prob. on my bow you just have to tune them like you would for a fixed blade.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.